The Bing Desktop program includes a host of features, one of which is the Wallpaper Toolset. When you first install Bing Desktop, the Wallpaper Toolset is activated automatically. To disable the Wallpaper Toolset, you can remove it from your desktop using the Bing Desktop settings window.
Log in to your Windows 8 computer using an account with administrative privileges.
Click the “Desktop” icon on the Windows 8 Start screen to load the desktop, on which you'll find the Bing Desktop dialog.
Click the “Settings” icon resembling a gear in the upper-right corner of the Bing Desktop dialog. The Bing Desktop dialog has a Bing logo in its upper-left corner and a large search box across its top.
Click the “General” tab on the Bing Desktop settings window, if not already selected.
Remove the check mark from the “Turn on wallpaper toolset” check box. This check box is found at the bottom of the General section of the Bing Desktop settings window.
Click the “X” icon to apply your changes and close the Bing Desktop settings window.
Tips & Warnings
- You can re-enable the Wallpaper Toolset at any time by placing a check mark in the “Turn on wallpaper toolset” check box in the Bing Desktop settings window.
- If the wallpaper feature is the only one used in Bing Desktop, uninstall the program in its entirety rather than just disabling the wallpaper feature. Point your mouse to the top-right corner of your Windows 8.1 screen and click “Search.” Enter “Control Panel” in the Search prompt and then click “Control Panel” from the search results. Select “Programs and features,” click “Bing Desktop” on the list of installed programs and then click “Uninstall.”
- When you disable the Wallpaper Toolset or uninstall Bing Desktop, your computer resorts to its previous desktop wallpaper. You can change this wallpaper at any time. Swipe your cursor down from the top-right corner of your screen, enter "desktop background" in the Search field and then click "Change desktop background." Select the picture you want and click "Save changes." If you want to set up a rotating gallery of desktop backgrounds, select multiple images before clicking "Save changes." You know an image has been selected when a check mark appears on it.
- You can also set entire themes for Windows 8.1. Themes are a combination of desktop wallpaper, matching colors, sounds and a screen saver. Right-click anywhere on your desktop, select "Personalize" to open the Personalization window and choose the theme you want. You can also click "Get More Themes Online" to find additional themes.
- Photo Credit Medioimages/Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images