One of life's luxuries is the ability to lay your head on a clean bed at the end of a hard day. Cleaning blankets or other bedding is part of a normal cleaning routine and the process is as easy as placing these things in the washing machine. It may surprise you to know that you can clean your other bedding in the same fashion. Foam egg crates that are used to make a bed softer can be cleaned in the same manner as the rest of your bedding. You can use the same detergents, favorite stain removers and your residential washer to clean egg-crate bedding.
Things You'll Need
- Stain remover
- Oxy Clean or other cleaning booster
- Steam cleaner
Spot treat the foam egg crate with the stain remover of your choice. Apply the solution to any stains liberally and let the stain remover set-in for the recommended time limit. As with any product, the sooner you treat the stain, the easier it is to remove.
Turn the washer dial to the “gentle” cycle and allow the water to fill up. Make sure you are using the cold water setting on the washer. Add detergent using the manufacturer's instructions and a cleaning booster like Oxy Clean to the washer.
Fold the egg-crate bedding so that the smooth sides are touching. Roll it up and place the egg crate into the washer. Let the washer to run for the full gentle cycle.
Smooth out any wrinkles with your hand while the foam bedding is still wet. Hang the egg-crate bedding to dry over a door, shower curtain rod or outside clothes line. Heat will shrink foam egg-crate bedding, so a dryer should only be used on a “fluff” or other indoor air setting.
Tips & Warnings
- Treat stubborn stains with a pre-soak in the bathtub before transferring the egg crate to the washing machine.
- Use a residential steam cleaner instead of a washing machine to clean the egg crate and allow it to dry.
- Hang drying the egg crate prevents wrinkles.
- Never wash egg-crate bedding that is in a worn condition.
- Never use an iron on egg-crate bedding.
- Never use a dryer on a hot setting to dry egg-crate bedding.
- Photo Credit Ryan McVay/Photodisc/Getty Images
When to Replace an Egg Crate Foam?
Egg crate foam is a popular solution for packaging goods and controlling acoustics. Its undulating texture has also made it a well-liked...