Replacing your print heads can sometimes cost more than just buying a new printer. Many times your printer cartridges aren't actually out of ink; they're just dry from lack of use. Before you replace your print head cartridges, try cleaning them with this homemade print head cleaning solution that will clear away the dried ink and make your printer head cartridges last much longer.
Things You'll Need
- Cone-shaped coffee filter
- 1 lb. glass jar with lid
- 1 1/2 cups purified water
- 1 drop liquid dish soap with no lotion or antibacterial additives
- 1 tbsp. isopropyl alcohol
Place a cone-shaped coffee filter with the pointy end down in the opening of a 1 lb. glass jar.
Place one drop of dish soap with no lotion or antibacterial additives in the base of the coffee filter.
Add 1 tbsp. of isopropyl alcohol to the coffee filter.
Pour 1 1/2 cups of purified water through the coffee filter.
Screw the lid on tightly until ready to use.
Tips & Warnings
- When you are ready to use your print head cleaning solution, pour 1 mm of your solution into a saucer and rest the nozzle of your print head in the solution. Use paper towels to soak up excess ink, and repeat until the print head is clean.
- Do not use liquid automatic dishwasher detergent instead of liquid dish soap. It will permanently damage your print heads.
- Photo Credit printer cartridge image by hugy from Fotolia.com
How to Clean the Print Head Nozzle on HP Printer Cartridges
It is important to properly maintain your HP printer head cartridge. Printer cartridges can get clogged with ink from time to time...
How to Clean an Ink-Jet Printer
Cleaning an ink-jet printer can solve minor problems, maintain print quality, and prolong periods between professional cleanings. Thin white lines across printouts...
How to Make Cleaning Solutions
Homemade cleaning products can be the frugal family's best friend. Commercial cleansers can be costly and come in quantities that you may...
How to Clean With Solvents in an Ultrasonic Cleaner
An ultrasonic cleaner is a machine that uses ultrasonic cleaning process to remove debris, dust and dirt from small or delicate items....
How to Clean Kodak 5300 Printhead
The Kodak Easy Share 5300 All-in-One printer features a self-cleaning cycle to keep the printhead clean and ensure crisp photo prints. Kodak...
Homemade Cleaning Solvents
Homemade cleaning solvents are a cost-effective, non-toxic way to clean your home. Most solutions can be made with items you probably already...