Music lovers have come to find that downloading music from the Internet can be easier and more convenient than purchasing CDs as a way to build their collections. Once they have downloaded songs to a computer, they can transfer the songs to a portable music player, such as an iPod or Zune, or play them on their computers using software such as iTunes or Windows Media Player. An easy way to locate songs you've downloaded is to save them to your desktop.
Things You'll Need
- Computer (Windows or Macintosh)
- Broadband internet connection (cable or DSL; not dial-up)
- Web browser
Using the Web browser, find songs available for download on the Internet. Places to look include www.mymojo.com, www.ez-tracks.com, www.mpfree.com and www.imesh.com as well as performers' webpages on sites such as MySpace or Facebook.
Right-click on the link for the song you want (if you're using a Macintosh, hold down the "Ctrl" key while you click.) Click on "Save As..." or "Save Link As... ."
In the "Save File" dialog box, click "Desktop" on the left side. You can also specify a file name if you want to change it. Click the "Save" button.
Locate the icon for the song file on your desktop after it completes downloading.
Tips & Warnings
- You can also copy songs from your personal CD collection to your desktop by inserting a CD into the computer's CD or DVD drive, opening Windows Explorer (or Finder if you're using a Macintosh), clicking on the icon for your CD/DVD drive, clicking on one or more songs in the file list, and dragging them to your desktop.
- Avoid sites that may offer unauthorized copies of songs. It is illegal to obtain copyrighted recordings without the creator's permission. Also, some files on these sites may contain computer viruses or other programs that may harm your computer.
- Photo Credit Jochen Sand/Photodisc/Getty Images
How Do I Get My iPod Music Onto My New Computer?
Although the iPod portable media player doesn't allow you to transfer music that wasn't purchased from the iTunes store from your iPod...
How to Download Songs From the Internet to a Computer
There are plenty of ways to download music onto your computer, and they're all relatively easy. Once the music is on your...
How to Download Music on a Disk
In addition to allowing computer users to transfer their files onto a CD through Windows Explorer, Windows allows the user to copy...
How to Download Music to a PC
Instead of selling physical copies of their records, many bands release their music exclusively online. With the advent of the Internet, as...