The shinobi known as Gaara is one of the main characters in the popular Naruto series of anime and manga. With his bright red hair, facial tattoo and striking outfit, his distinctive appearance sets him apart from the rest of the characters. And because Gaara is small for his age, this costume is good for men and women of smaller stature as well as children
Things You'll Need
- Red temporary hair color
- Black pants
- Black sandals
- Long black or reddish-brown coat
- Gray vest
- Strip of gray fabric (2-3 inches wide and long enough to wrap around your hips twice)
- White face paint
- Black liquid eyeliner
- Red eye pencil
Making a Gaara Costume
Color your hair red. Use a high-quality temporary dye or spray-in color according to the manufacturer's instructions on the packaging.
Put on the pants and sandals. While other aspects of Gaara's appearance change, these elements are constant.
Finish the outfit. Gaara is seen wearing a black coat in some instances, and a reddish-brown coat in others. Turn up the collar of the coat and button it down to your waist, so it will flare around your legs as you walk. Put the vest on over the coat. Wrap the strip of gray fabric twice around yourself below the vest and knot in the front.
Do your makeup. Cover your entire face, including your eyebrows, with the white facepaint. Line your eyes with the black liquid liner to achieve Gaara's permanent black-ringed stare. Use the red eye pencil to draw the kanji symbol for "love" on your forehead over your left eye.
Tips & Warnings
- Have a friend draw the "love" symbol on your forehead to help with accuracy.
- If you have a hard time finding a coat the right color, buy a white laboratory coat and use Rit or other inexpensive dye to make it the shade you want.
- If you have the desire and the funds, order a pair of turquoise contact lenses to give your costume an extra bit of authenticity.
- If you do not wish to color your own hair, buy a red wig and cut it to a short, shaggy style.
- Be careful when applying eyeliner. If the makeup gets in your eye, flush your eye with water and perform first aid as needed.
How to Make Cosplay Costumes
Cosplay is a fun and enjoyable way to dress as a character from your favorite anime. Cosplayers meet at conventions and cosplay...
How to Make Gourd Birdhouses
Make your own birdhouse from an ornamental gourd. It's fun and easy to create, using a gourd, exterior paint and a wood...
How to Create a Vampire Costume
There are a few different looks you can go for when making a vampire costume, the elegant vampire is one of them....
How to Make a JabbaWockeez Costume
The JabbaWockeez have become an up-and-coming performance group since winning the "America's Best Dance Crew" TV show in 2008. The all-male dance...