A canopy bed conveys privacy and romance in a bedroom. A four-poster bed can be converted into a canopy bed by adding sturdy rails connecting the tops of each post. Add curtains to the sides and tied them together to create a romantic look, and a canopy covering at the top of the bed creates a cozy haven. As with all bedding, canopies can be changed according to the season and decor.
Things You'll Need
- Four 2-by-2-inch wooden rods or spindles
- Wooden screws
- Electric drill/screwdriver
- sandpaper or sander, stain or paint, paint brush (optional)
Measure the distance between the top of each post and cut the wooden dowel or spindle to fit your canopy rods. Make sure the location of each canopy rod is at least 3 inches from the ceiling.
Sand the ends of each canopy rod if desired. Position one canopy rod between two posts and use the level to make sure the rod is even (an assistant to hold one end is helpful).
Screw one end of the rod into the post. Repeat on the other end.
Repeat Steps 2 and 3 for the remaining three sides of the bed to form the canopy frame.
If desired, stain or paint the canopy rods to complement your bed frame.
Tips & Warnings
- If desired, insert pocket curtains in each side of the canopy rod before screwing in place. You will remove the rod when you change the side curtains. Consider a sheer or neutral fabric for the side curtains. Curtains can be added later without removing the canopy rods by using decorative shower curtain hangers. Use a bed skirt as a quick and easy top canopy that will complement your bedding. The top is lightweight and the side panels can fit over the posts to hand on the canopy rails.
- Be careful about hanging heavy curtains or canopy fabric on your canopy rods because the rods do not have center supports.
How to Build a Canopy for a Four Poster Bed Frame With Wood
If you have a four-poster bed, you are halfway to having a very elegant bedroom setup. If you want to go all...
How to Make a Canopy Bed
If you are not a master woodworker, but want to turn a regular bed into a canopy bed, there is an incredibly...
How to Make a Four-Poster Bed With Curtain Rods
If you're dreaming of a four-poster bed but are on a budget, you can create the look of one with curtain rods...