The use of reusable travel mugs has the potential to save billions of coffee cups from ending up in landfills each year. Starbucks, for example, reports buying 2.7 billion paper cups during the 2008 fiscal year. One way to make your travel mug distinctive is to personalize it. Many coffee shops offer a discount when you use a reusable cup.
Things You'll Need
- Create-your-own travel mug (often available at Starbucks or on amazon.com or eBay)
- Blank paper (8½ inches by 11 inches)
- Pens, pencils, crayons, markers, stickers, photos
- Color printer (optional)
Unscrew the bottom of the mug and remove the temporary insert.
Trace the insert onto a piece of blank paper and cut out the shape. Consider using construction paper, newspaper, a funky magazine ad or a take-out menu as the background of your design.
Decorate the cut out as you desire. You can be really creative with this part. Consider glitter, stickers, crayons/markers/paint and photos. You can also cut out pictures and/or letters from magazines to form a collage. When creating a gift, you can cut out words that describe the person you're giving it to, or perhaps use words that remind you of them (the places you've been together, for example).
Insert the decorated paper into the sleeve and screw the bottom back on.
Tips & Warnings
- When using photos, it's best to use photocopies--just trace the temporary insert onto the paper you've printed your photos on--to prevent your insert from getting too thick to fit into the sleeve.
- If you use glue, make sure it is completely dry before inserting the design into the sleeve, otherwise you could ruin your artwork.
- To make an extra special gift, fill the mug with nuts and dried fruit or candy.
How to Make a Travel Mug With Picture Inserts
Creating a photo travel mug by using picture inserts is a great way to memorialize a family vacation, wedding or other special...
How to Decorate Your Own Ceramic Coffee Mug
Decorating your own ceramic coffee mug can add a personalized touch to a traditionally simple and plain household item. Creating your own...
How to Design Your Own Coffee Mug Kit
Coffee mug kits make wonderful gifts that allow a person to design and make their own personalized coffee mugs. Coffee mug kits...
How to Add Photos to a Starbucks Tumbler
Before they were discontinued in April 2010, Starbucks sold customizable tumblers called "Create Your Own Photo" in which you could print your...
How to Make-it-Yourself Personalized Travel Mugs
Many people love to make holiday or birthday gifts to give to their friends. Making a present is not only a joy,...
How to Decorate Coffee Cups
Decorate coffee cups for colorful accessories to match your home kitchen. You can make hand-decorated cups in a set for a family...
How to Decorate Your Coffee Mug
How to decorate your coffee mug, a handmade craft project using household items, in this free arts and crafts video taught by...