How to handle Ex seeking child support reduction


While a court appearance dealing with children and divorce can be unsettling, it should not be fretted. One can handle an ex-husband's / ex-wife's divorce court child support filing alone, without attorney representation.

  • File your own court response, no lawyer needed! No special form is needed to file a response. A simple Word document will do. If you do need assistance, visit your county Circuit Clerk office and the representatives should be happy to assist you.

  • Be prepared. Have copies of income statements / unemployment benefits to prove earnings.

  • Prepare copies of all medical / dental costs that should be split equally

  • Prepare copies of extra - curricular activities that should be shared expenses

  • Prepare copies of school expenses (registration, books, supplies, clothes).

  • Be confident! While the ex may be asking for a reduction in child support, the judge will not change the original court order unless there has been a significant change in earnings. Even the original child support order based on ex's salary 5 years ago, won't change to reflect his yearly pay increases since the amount taken out falls within the child support guidelines (28 - 30%). Search the internet for a child support calculator to see if an increase / decrease is worth fighting for in court.

Tips & Warnings

  • Most attorneys offer an initial office visit free of charge. Use it! Seek a qualified divorce attorney / child custody lawyer and ask their advice.
  • Court dates may not be available right away. Be prepared to schedule a court date 2 months or more out.

Related Searches

  • Photo Credit
Promoted By Zergnet



Related Searches

Check It Out

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!