Introduce your child to percussion instruments by working together to make a thunder tube, which creates the sound of thunder when you shake it. To construct this recyclables-craft noisemaker, you'll need a cardboard tube, the wire from a spiral notebook and a balloon.
Things You'll Need
- Cardboard paper towel or mailing tube
- Wire from spiral notebook
- Cardboard cereal box or poster board
- Clear packing tape
Stretch the balloon tightly across one end of the tube.
Trace the other end of the tube onto the cardboard from the cereal box or other scrap.
Cut out the circle.
Make a small hole in the center of the circle.
Place the short end of the wire in the tube.
Position the circle on the tube’s end. Tape it in place.
Decorate the outside of your thunder tube as desired, using paints, markers, paper, stickers or other embellishments.
Tips & Warnings
- You can also use a purchased spring in place of the notebook wire.
- If you prefer, glue the circle into place at the end of the tube. Allow the glue to dry thoroughly before using your new drum.
- Photo Credit Wavebreakmedia Ltd/Wavebreak Media/Getty Images