Step away from the packet of onion soup -- you don't need it. I've got something even better for you. The sweetness of the caramelized onions along with the one-two punch of both onion powder and dried onions is perfectly balanced by the creamy sour cream and cream cheese. But I have to warn you, you may want to eat the entire bowl yourself, it is THAT good.
Things You'll Need
- 1 large sweet onion (such as Walla Walla, Maui, Vidalla), chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces sour cream (full fat)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onions
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Step 1: Add the olive oil and chopped onion to a sauce pan over medium heat.
Step 2: Cook over medium heat until caramelized, about 45 minutes.
Step 3: Beat together the cream cheese and sour crea.
Using a mixer or food processor until well combined.
Step 4: Stir in the remaining ingredients.
Refrigerate until ready to use.
Make it ahead of time! It's even better the next day, don't be afraid to make it a day or even two in advance.