Making tallow candles is a great way to combine historic crafting with contemporary practicality, as the candles are useful during power outages. While you can purchase ready-to-use tallow, you can also render it yourself by a simple -- though somewhat time-consuming -- process.
Things You'll Need
- Beef suet
- Double-boiler saucepan or large stockpot
- Wooden spoon
- Essential oils (optional)
- Candle coloring (optional)
- Cooking spray
Chop the suet into small pieces by hand.
Place the suet into the top of a double boiler or in a stockpot.
Melt the suet slowly over low heat for five to six hours, until a clear liquid forms at the bottom of the pan and impurities float to the top.
Add coloring and scented oils, if desired.
Strain the fat through cheesecloth.
Spray the inside of the mold thoroughly with cooking spray.
Wrap one end of the wick around a pencil or skewer and lay it across the top of the mold, placing the rest of the wick inside the mold.
Pour the tallow slowly into the greased mold. Allow it to set until cooled and solid.
Remove from the mold.
Tips & Warnings
- If you don’t have a double boiler, place a cleaned metal coffee can in a saucepan. Fill the saucepan about halfway and place the suet in the coffee can.
- Instead of poured candles, you can make traditional dipped candles. Dip the wick into the tallow and pull it out. Allow it to cool slightly and then dip it again. Repeat the process until your candle reaches the desired thickness.
- Replace expensive commercial candle molds with empty vegetable or fruit cans.
- Do not leave the suet or tallow unattended, as it is flammable.
- If you use a food processor to break down the suet, stop when the fat is very coarsely ground to avoid an unworkable "glop" that will not process well.
- Photo Credit Driftwood/iStock/Getty Images
How to Render Tallow
Rendering tallow is the first and most important step in making homemade soap. Rendering your own tallow allows you to control the...
How to Make Wax
Wax is used for all different types of products. Perhaps the most popular product that people sometimes make for themselves that uses...
How to Make Tallow Soap
Whether you hope to start a handmade soap business or are simply interested in learning how to avoid mass-produced goods, making your...
- How to Remove Tallow Odor
How to Make Candles From Lard
Lard makes a suitable base for candles that will burn at around the same rate as wax candles. Inexpensive blocks of lard...