Give a beautiful and delicate touch to terra cotta pots by adorning them with lace. This can easily be done with a few supplies, and you have the freedom to use different kinds of laces to create simple or intricate patterns on the terra cotta pots. When you're finished and are ready to display the pots, pot cacti or succulent plants for a bold contrast to the lace adorned pots.
- You can repurpose lace doilies or ribbons from a thrift store.
- When cutting lace vertically into sections you can cut where needed to meet your measurements. If you want to use a specific part of the lace or size it down because it is too wide, try not to cut through the embroidered or heavily patterned part of the lace.
- All-purpose matte glue and sealer results in a smooth finish. An 8-ounce bottle is more than enough for three small pots and one medium pot.
Things You'll Need
- Glue that dries clear
- Various laces
- Any sized terra cotta pots (Three 2-inch wide pots and one 6-inch wide pot were used for this project.)
- Small nylon brush or sponge brush
Step 1: Calculate the Lace Needed
To determine how much lace you will need for your pot, use a soft (sewing) tape measure to measure the area on the pot where you plan to adhere the lace. Then have that measurement in lace cut at the craft/fabric store, or if you are re-purposing lace you already have, use the pot measurements to measure your lace and cut into pieces.
Step 2: Cut Lace Pieces and Apply Glue for a Base
For this pot, the lace was to be layered horizontally down the pot, but you can also lay the lace vertically or whichever pattern you like best. Dip approximately 1 inch of your brush into the glue and start brushing a thin layer of glue onto the pot where you plan to adhere lace first. The glue fully dries in approximately five minutes, so you will want to apply the lace onto the glue surface immediately after brushing it on. Work on each section of the pot at a time. For this pot, the section closest to the opening of the pot was worked on first.
Step 3: Adhere the Lace to the Pot
Lay your first piece of lace directly onto the glue. Gently press the lace into the glue; be careful, as glue might seep through the lace.
Step 4: Seal the Lace
Step 5: Pot Your Plants & Display
Pot your newly lace-embellished pots and display to add a pretty and feminine touch to a coffee table, nightstand, windowsill or any indoor surface.