Attaching a poster bed cover, or canopy, changes the look of your bedroom from plain to interesting. A canopy on a little girl’s bed draped in tulle or other filmy fabric creates a princess bed. A canopy on an adult’s bed can make the room look elegant and lend an element of privacy to those sleeping. Canopies for poster beds can cost a lot, but you can make your own out of regular PVC pipe available at hardware stores and home improvement centers.
Things You'll Need
- PVC pipes, 2 inches diameter, 7 feet long, 4
- PVC pipes, 2 inches diameter, same length as your bed, 2
- PVC pipes, 2 inches diameter, same width as your bed, 4
- PVC elbow connectors, 2 inches diameter, 4
- PVC 3-way corner connectors, 2 inches diameter, 4
Measure the length and width of your bed. Buy enough 2-inch diameter PVC pipe to have four pieces 7 feet long, two pieces the same length as the bed and four pieces the same width as the bed. You can have the staff at the hardware store or home improvement center cut it for you.
Slide a PVC elbow connector on one end of a 7-foot pipe. Slide a pipe the same length as your bed width into the other hole of the elbow connector. Add an elbow connector on the other end of the shorter pipe. Put another 7-foot pipe in the other hole of the second connector. Turn the pipes so that you have a flat U-shaped frame.
Repeat Step 2 to create another U-shaped frame.
Put a PVC 3-way corner connector on each free end of the 7-foot pieces. Make a rectangle out of each U-shaped piece by putting the other two pipes that are the same measurement as the bed width in free holes of the 3-way connectors. The remaining free hole of each connector must face the same side of each rectangle. These two rectangles are the ends of the poster bed cover.
Stand one rectangle on a short side at the head of the bed with the free holes of the 3-way connectors at the top facing the foot of the bed. Stand the other rectangle at the foot of the bed with the free holes of the connectors at the top corners facing the head of the bed.
Put an end of a PVC pipe that is the same size as the length of the bed in the free hole of a connector at the head of the bed. Put the other end in the free hole of the connector on the same side at the foot of the bed. This is a side rail of the canopy. Repeat for the other side to create a parallel side rail. Now your poster bed cover is ready for hanging curtains or other decorations.
Tips & Warnings
- Painting the poster bed cover to match the room helps it blend with your décor. Paint the pieces before assembly using primer and paint designed for use on PVC.
- Reinforce the PVC joints by applying a coat of PVC primer and a coat of PVC adhesive to the inside of the connectors before sliding in the pipe ends. You will not be able to dismantle the poster bed cover later.
- Reinforce the poster bed cover by clamping it to the legs of the bed with spring clamps. This will only work if the legs of the bed are near the perimeter of the bed frame and thus next to the canopy frame.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Goodshoot/Getty Images