A fresh mushroom can add texture and flavor to your cooked dish or salad. It is important to recognize the signs of a fresh mushroom from one that has spoiled- especially when you cook a dish that contains mushrooms. Whether mushrooms remain wrapped in the container they came in, or are left open in the refrigerator, they can go bad. Check the ripeness of your mushrooms before your use them to cook your meal.
Examine your mushrooms. Look for slime or bruised spots on the mushrooms. Discard them if there are any.
Video of the Day
Hold the mushrooms to your nose. Smell them for an earthy aroma. Throw them away if they smell rancid.
Touch the mushrooms with your fingers. Feel their texture and discard mushrooms that are mushy or soft to the touch.
Look at the size of the mushroom. Identify mushrooms that are shriveled or withered. Discard them as unusable.
Do not eat mushrooms that are not fresh. If in doubt, throw it out.