Things You'll Need
Small glass dish
Stirrer (popsicle stick)
Acetone is a common organic solvent. It is relatively non-toxic, though it can irritate the skin and lungs. Acetone is commonly found in nail polish remover and some paint strippers. Organic solvents, like acetone, will dissolve organic compounds, like plastic. Adding a plastic to a small amount of acetone will create a gooey liquid. The liquid will act like a glue once it is allowed to dry and the acetone evaporates.
Video of the Day
Put the nitrile gloves on.
Fill the small glass dish about one-quarter of the way full with acetone.
Break up the polystyrene into small pieces. The smaller the better because the plastic will break apart faster.
Add the plastic slowly to the acetone while mixing with the stirrer.
Once the liquid starts to become very thick it can be used as a plastic glue. The stirrer makes a good applicator for the homemade glue.
Acetone has strong vapors and should not be inhaled, ingested or brought in contact with any mucous membrane, like your eyes and nose.