Mold and mildew need moisture and a warm environment to thrive. They typically pop up in rooms that get a lot of moisture and poor ventilation. Aside from being unattractive, mold and mildew have health consequences, and cause wheezing, eye irritation and nasal obstruction in those sensitive to mold. The EPA suggests that some people may even develop more severe reactions to mold such as fever, shortness of breath and mold infections in the lungs. Killing mold and mildew in the home is necessary for the health and safety of those who live there.
Things You'll Need
- Rubber gloves
- Scrub brush
- Disinfectant household cleaner
- Ozone generator
- Spray bottle
- Tea tree oil
Video of the Day
Identify the location of the mold. You may want to hire a professional company to come to your home and perform a mold and mildew test.
Wear rubber gloves to thoroughly clean hard surface areas. Combine one part bleach with three parts water. Apply the mixture to the surface and allow it to set for 15 minutes. Scrub the surface with a brush and rinse with clean water. Allow the area to area dry.
Spray a disinfectant household cleaner on mold and mildew that is in fabrics, carpets or clothing.
Install an ozone generator to kill mold and mildew. The ozone will oxidize the mold and mildew, which will eventually kill it.
Spray surfaces that cannot tolerate bleach with a vinegar spray. Pour white distilled vinegar into a spray bottle and saturate the mold and mildew areas. Do not wipe or rinse the vinegar off of the surface; it will dissipate within a few hours.
Mix together 2 tsp. of tea tree oil and 2 cups of water and put it in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture on fabric, hard surfaces or upholstery to kill mold and mildew. The smell of this mixture is very potent but it will go away in about three days.
Remove carpet, tiles or fabrics that have mold that will not come out. The mold spores may still be living and this may be the only way to get rid of the mold.