Clorox, like other bleach products, is in fact a caustic substance. Individuals should exercise caution when using Clorox for this reason.
Video of the Day
A substance defined as caustic is one whose effects are corrosive on living tissue.
Clorox is the brand name for a diluted sodium hypochlorite solution, commonly known as bleach. Though similar to generic household bleach, Clorox does contain additional whitening agents and chemicals.
If ingested, Clorox will have a caustic effect upon the body's internal organs, including the esophagus and stomach. The most common damage associated with the caustic effects of bleach is damage to the lining of the esophagus.
As a highly diluted mixture containing mostly water, the primary caustic effect of bleach upon skin is skin irritation. Prolonged exposure to bleach can, however, have a more significant effect upon skin.
Anyone who has ingested Clorox or has in any way experienced the effects of its caustic properties is recommended to call the poison control hotline at 1-800-222-1222. For further information on the toxic properties of Clorox or what to do in case of emergency, please visit the website of the American Association of Poison Control Centers, located under 'Resources.'