If your bathroom is tight on space and trying to cram several shampoo bottles and other toiletries into the corner of your tub or shower stall just isn't working for you, it's probably time to invest in a shower caddy or shower organizer. These handy organizers help you maximize space while keeping everything you need within easy reach without having to crouch down (in most cases). Plenty of models these days look great, too, so you don't have to worry about them cramping your bathroom's style.
Video of the Day
What to Consider Before Purchasing a Shower Organizer
Type: The four main types of shower caddies and shower organizers are: corner, hanging, tension and over-the-door.
- Corner: Corner shower caddies are small shelves or baskets shaped to fit snugly in the corner of your shower and don't take up much space. Sometimes, they're sold as individual shelves or baskets, while other times they're sold as a set of two or more, or as one piece consisting of two or more shelves. One shelf typically offers enough room for three bottles of shampoo or body soap to sit comfortably.
- Hanging: These shower caddies hang from the shower head and often have suction cups to affix them to the wall. They're probably the most popular type of shower organizer and almost always include two (sometimes three) baskets and occasionally a small shelf or basket for a bar of soap. They're easy to set up and come in various sizes. However, they're not recommended for showers with detachable shower heads because they can easily get moved out of place.
- Tension: These freestanding shower organizers act like adjustable tension rods that fit securely between the floor and ceiling of your shower stall, usually extending between 6 and 9 feet. They normally feature three or four shelves or baskets.
- Over-the-Door: This type of shower organizer only works if you have—you guessed it—a shower door, but they make sense if your shower stall is too narrow to accommodate a corner organizer without you bumping into it. They're quite similar to typical hanging shower organizers but designed for hanging over your shower door instead.
Materials: Most shower caddies and shower organizers you'll come across will be made from metal, stainless steel, plastic or teak wood.
- Metal: Metal is the most common material used to make shower caddies. It's durable and long-lasting, but also susceptible to rusting. While some models feature a rust-proof coating, this isn't always 100% effective, so it can take some maintenance and a watchful eye to avoid a buildup of rust.
- Stainless Steel: Like metal, stainless steel is strong and durable, but it has the edge when it comes to resistance to rusting and staining. It may still require occasional cleaning to avoid buildup, but it generally fares pretty well in this regard.
- Plastic: Plastic is lightweight and less expensive than metal and steel, making it a solid option, but it's also more prone to developing bacteria, so it's wise to clean it often and keep it dry when you're not using the shower.
- Teak: Teak wood is the most popular wood option because of its natural resistance to water and mold. It also lasts a long time, requires little maintenance and looks great on top of that, making it an attractive choice for many bathrooms.
Design: How useful or versatile is the shower caddy or organizer? Does it hold a sufficient number of toiletries? How much space does it save you? Does it have any smart design features like hooks for hanging loofahs or rags? Or include a spot for a bar of soap or razors? Will it fit your particular shower space? Ask yourself these questions to determine how much of a difference it would make in your shower.
Installation: Consider how easy the shower caddy is to install. Does it require any special tools? If so, are they provided? Is installation complicated enough that you need a professional to do it? How easy is it to adjust and remove? For the most part, shower caddies and organizers won't take much effort or skill to assemble and install, but it's still something to keep in mind, especially if you get a more permanent model that's not meant to come off easily.
Style: This is probably the least important factor, but it's still worth considering whether the shower organizer you've selected fits in neatly with your bathroom's decor and color scheme, or if you're sacrificing style in the name of substance alone. It's all down to personal preference, but with hundreds of options out there, you're bound to find a shower caddy or organizer that checks all of your boxes—including style.
With these considerations in mind, here are the best shower caddies and shower organizers in 2022:
The Best Overall Shower Caddy
OXO Good Grips Three-Tier Shower Caddy
OXO has a great reputation when it comes to housewares, and its three-tier shower caddy lives up to it. While on the larger side compared to most hanging-style shower caddies, it's for good reason: its three rust-proof, anodized aluminum tiers offer ample room for several bottles of various sizes, plus a bar of soap, and also includes three hooks where you can hang loofahs or razors.
It's easy to hang up and stays in place better than other models, thanks to its grippy, rubberized hook and PVC-free suction cups that keep it secured at both the top and bottom. No tools are required. It measures approximately 28 inches long, 12 1/2 inches wide and 4 1/4 inches deep. Overall, it's sleek, well-designed, long-lasting and easy to install, making it an excellent choice that will suit most bathtub a shower combinations or shower stalls.
The Best Corner Shower Caddy
Tenby Living 3- or 4-Tier Corner Shower Caddy
This miniature free-standing shower caddy is a great corner model that's compact but also offers plenty of storage space. It's available with three or four shelves and is extremely easy to install because it doesn't require a tension rod—simply assemble it and place it in the corner of your shower—no tools required. Made from lightweight but durable plastic, the shelves feature holes that allow for drainage and decrease the likelihood of bacteria forming. The structure also includes adjustable feet to keep the whole thing stable.
Another plus is that you can adjust the space between shelves depending on the height of your toiletries by using optional spacers. The three-tier model measures approximately 24 inches to 28 inches tall, while the four-tier model extends up to about 35 inches tall. The main caveat is that because it's free-standing, it probably won't fit neatly in the corner of a bathtub. Another thing is that you'll probably need to crouch down to access items on the bottom tier, which sits on the floor. Other than that, it's affordable, easy to assemble, offers lots of storage and maximizes space in tight shower stalls.
The Best Compact Hanging Shower Caddy
OXO Good Grips Compact 2-Tier Shower Caddy
If you prefer hanging shower caddies but don't need as much storage space, OXO's two-tier hanging shower caddy works wonderfully. Essentially a two-tier version of their three-tier model (and our top pick), it's compact and easy to install. Like its three-tier counterpart, it's made of rust-proof, anodized aluminum and features a hook at the top and PVC-free suction cups at the bottom to provide extra security. It measures approximately 21 inches long, 12 1/2 inches wide and 4 inches deep, offering just slightly less space per shelf than the three-tier model. But if compact is what you want, it does make your shower feel roomier.
The Best Tension Shower Organizer
Simplehuman 8- or 9-Foot Tension Pole Shower Caddy
While this tension pole shower caddy from simplehuman is on the expensive side compared to other models on this list, you get what you pay for. Available in sizes that adjust to fit up to 8-foot or 9-foot ceilings, this shower organizer uses a tension rod to remain securely in place while offering ample storage, making it ideal for families or multiple housemates to share. It comes with three roomy shelves, as well as four hooks—two on top and two attached to the shelves—for hanging items like washcloths, loofahs or razors.
Best of all, the shelves are adjustable, so you can shift them around until they're at the perfect height for your toiletries and members of your household. The tension pole and shelves are made from anodized aluminum and stainless steel. The pole is easily adjustable without any tools required and features grippy rubber feet so it remains firmly in place.
The Best Over-the-Door Shower Caddy
mDesign Modern Over-the-Door Shower Caddy
This hanging shower caddy works for both swinging and sliding shower doors and comes with two shelf baskets. Suction cups attached to the bottom shelf help keep the caddy secure even as you open and close your shower door. With plenty of clearance above the top shelf, you can easily fit tall bottles of shampoo, body soap or care products, and the four hooks are perfect for hanging loofahs and razors. The caddy measures just over 16 1/2 inches long, slightly under 10 inches wide and 6 inches deep. It features a rust-resistant finish and is available in six different colors.
The Best Teak Wood Shower Organizer
AquaTeak Patented Moa Oval Teak Shower Organizer
Arguably the most beautiful model on the list, this teak wood shower organizer earns high marks for style, but it's pretty functional. While the oval shape does sacrifice a bit of storage space compared to rectangular models, it still offers a considerable amount of surface area thanks to its two flat shelves and third tier at the bottom, which is curved. Not only is the curved tier a great place to store loofahs and razors, but it also provides some drainage. In addition to the shelves, the organizer includes two hooks, two razor ports and a soap dish. It measures 24 3/4 inches long, 12 3/4 inches wide (at the center) and 4 3/4 inches deep.