We've all been there: You send a client or colleague an important email, only to see an "Out of Office" response appear in your inbox seconds later. While it's frustrating to be on the receiving end of this message, setting up an auto response can provide the sender with peace of mind while she is away from email.
Setting Up Your Auto Response
Most email clients available today allow the user to set an account to automatically respond to incoming mail. You can set up the auto response in Hotmail by following these simple steps:
- From your inbox, click on "Options," which appears in the upper right corner.
- Select "More options."
- You will see a new screen called "Hotmail Options."
- On this page, under the heading "Manage your account," click on "Send automated vacation replies."
- You will see a new screen called "Vacation reply."
- To activate the auto response, click the circle next to the option "Send vacation replies to people who e-mail me."
- In the box below that, type the response that you would like people to receive. It is helpful for you to let others know when you will return or when they can expect to get a response from you.
- At the bottom of the page, you will see a checkmarked box next to the phrase "Only reply to contacts." This means that only people in your contact list will receive the auto response. Uncheck this box if you want the auto response to be sent to everyone who emails you--even if they aren't in your list of contacts.
- Click save.
Once you have completed these steps, those who email you will receive your custom auto response. When you are able to return to email, follow steps 1 through 5. When you get to step 6, click the circle called "Don't send any vacation replies" and then click "save."
How to Make an Email Signature for Hotmail
An email signature is a great way to automatically include all the important contact information you want to send at the end...
How to Change Personal Options in Hotmail
Follow these steps to change your personal options in Hotmail. You can change your profile, password, secret question, language email is viewed...
How to Block a Sender by Email Address in Hotmail
Block email addresses in Hotmail -- or Outlook.com -- by adding them to the Blocked Senders list. Email from blocked senders is...
How to Set Up an Auto Responder
If you are tired of trying to keep up with email messages, then setting up an email auto responder may be the...
How to Create a Professional Email Signature
An email signature is a reflection of you, your business and your professionalism. Use it to set an appropriate tone for your...