How to get rid of a pet's allergy: you can't get rid of a pet's allergy. We can treat allergies, but an allergy is there to stay. You can't remove it or take it out of the equation. The first thing we have to know is we have to know what kind of an allergy your pet is suffering from. There's technically four types of allergies, but when we're talking about pets and allergy reactions, really only three come into effect. There's airborne allergies, contact allergies, and there's food allergies. Now, if you're really lucky, and your dog has an allergy, it's a food allergy. Food allergies are the easiest allergy out there to fix. And what you need to do is switch to a simple food that has a very simple ingredient listing, and generally we are looking for is looking for a carbohydrate is either going to be like a rice or a potato, because these are very hypoallergenic, very rare to be allergic to rice or potato. And you're looking for a meat base that's going to be preferably a fish, or a venison, or a duck, or a lamb base. Those meats are typically very, very hypoallergenic and don't tend to have a lot of allergy problems. The only real way to figure out what your dog is allergic to, dog or cat, is to switch his diet to something new. So, say, try a duck and potato diet. Feed for a month, see what happens. If the allergy continues, then you need to switch again, try a lamb and rice diet. Feed for a month, see if the allergy continues. You kind of have to play that game. Or you can take your animal to the vet and they can do an allergy test, where they take him and they do the same kind of scratch test just like they do for people, and they'll give you a print-out back with a list of all the allergies, and the percentage of the allergies, and that's awfully expensive. So, generally within two food choices, a good pet store can help you pinpoint down what your animal's allergy is. The second easiest allergy to solve is a contact allergy, which is an allergy that comes into effect when they touch something. Like, say, I'm allergy to peanuts. That could be a contact allergy. It's also a food allergy, but it could be a contact allergy as well. Me touching peanuts gets an allergic reaction. So at that point, you kind of have to kind of figure out what's causing the contact allergy. Is it the dog's bedding, is it the rug in your house, is it the linoleum floor, something like that. It's difficult to find out, but still way easier than the last form, which is the airborne allergy, which is just like human allergies: ragweed, mold, pollen, all these things can cause dogs to have allergic reactions, just like people. If the dog has an airborne allergy, or even a contact allergy, often the best course of action is seeing your vet, getting on some sort of steroids, and also probably treating with some sort of topical ointment, like hydrocortisone, or adding Lipoderm, or other sort of omega fatty acid, or fish oil to the diet to help keep the skin moist and dry. So, if you're really lucky, it's a food allergy; if you're really unlucky it's a contact or a airborne allergies.