What Can a Payee Spend a Child's Social Security Money On?

A representative payee is a rewarding role.
A representative payee is a rewarding role. (Image: Comstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images)

It is not uncommon for children to receive Social Security Income (SSI). According to Social Security.gov, a relative, friend or other party will be appointed to take on the role of “representative payee.” Once you have satisfied a careful investigation and agree to be a representative payee, Social Security pays you the benefits to use on the child's behalf. As the payee, you will have to manage these benefits to make sure that the child’s needs are met.

The Basic Necessities Have Priority

As a representative payee, you must allocate the child’s income to prioritized resources. Food and housing expenses must take priority over all other expenses. For example, clean water, healthy food, rent, mortgage, electric, gas and adequate clothing are the necessities you must provide before such things as a video game or mp3 player.

Just for the health of it!
Just for the health of it! (Image: Jupiterimages/Pixland/Getty Images)

Medical and Recreational Needs

After the basic necessities are met, use leftover money for any medical needs that are not covered by the child’s health insurance, such as the insurance deductible and co-insurance. In addition, the child may need a motorized wheelchair, bathroom support equipment or braces.

To increase the quality of life is money well spent.
To increase the quality of life is money well spent. (Image: Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images)

Still Have Money Left Over?

Consider using the extra funds for home repairs that will make a house or apartment safer and more accessible for the child. Perhaps the beneficiary could use a television -- which can be used by other family members, according to Social Security.gov. Or the child could benefit from his or her own car. Funds may be used to purchase a car as long as it is used for and owned by the beneficiary. Perhaps you would like to use the extra funds for education or a special trade school for the child. All of these are legal and are beneficial for the child.

Knowledge is priceless and fun!
Knowledge is priceless and fun! (Image: Ableimages/Digital Vision/Getty Images)


Open a savings account for the child. The beneficiary must own the funds in a savings account, but the representative payee can be listed as the fiduciary (financial agent) with no access to the funds. The financial institution that holds the saving account will be able to assist you with this. US Savings bonds is another safe way to save.

"I want to save money too!"
"I want to save money too!" (Image: Dynamic Graphics Group/Dynamic Graphics Group/Getty Images)

Tips and Warnings

Always keep a separate record for the beneficiary's income and expenses along with receipts. Do not mix the beneficiary's financial records with the family's financial records. Every year, Social Security will ask you to fill out a form showing how the monies were spent.

Never take a fee for managing the beneficiary's funds unless you are a legal guardian with express permission from Social Security or the court. Otherwise, you may be fined or imprisoned.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

4 Credit Myths That Are Absolutely False

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!