Mothballs are used to prevent insects from damaging stored clothing. Chemical mothballs are made from either naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene. Both are toxic, and are suspected of causing cancer. Cedar balls are marketed as a more natural moth repellent, but even cedar oil carries risks to animals. The best way to prevent moths from damaging clothes is to seal clothing in a container they can't get into.
Naphthalene is a pesticide that changes from a solid to a gas. It is manufactured from coal tar or oil. Exposure to the fumes can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness and vomiting. It can cause anemia if a person or animal eats a mothball, or breathes enough of the vapors. Children who have consumed naphthalene mothballs can have fever, diarrhea, abdominal pain and pain while urinating. Infants exposed to blankets and clothing that have been treated with mothballs without being washed have developed anemia. Naphthalene breaks down into alpha-naphthol in the body, which can cause liver and kidney damage.
Paradichlorobenzene is also a solid that changes to a gas. It causes eye, nasal and skin irritation, and inhaling the vapors can cause nausea, dizziness, vomiting, fatigue and headaches. It can cause tremors, vomiting and abdominal pain in pets, and is suspected of causing liver and kidney damage. Paradichlorobenzene has been linked to cancer in mice, though it is not certain if it causes cancer in humans. Paradichlorobenzene travels through the blood and fatty tissue, and is excreted in milk and urine.
Cedar balls and oil are marketed as an alternative for moth control. Cedar can be toxic to pets that eat the balls or breathe the fumes. Cedar is known to cause liver damage in small animals kept on cedar wood shavings. Cedar fumes can also cause allergic reactions in humans.
There have been cases of people deliberately inhaling or ingesting naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene. Teenagers are known to suck on mothballs, and to place the balls in plastic bags to concentrate the fumes, then breathe from the bag. In 2006, two teenagers were hospitalized for scaly skin, unsteady gait and slow mental reaction times.
- National Pesticide Information Center: Naphthalene General Fact Sheet; December 2010
- National Pesticide Information Center: Paradichlorobenzene General Fact Sheet; December 2010
- The Rat Fan Club: "The Toxicity of Pine and Cedar Shavings": Debbie Ducommun
- Woodworking.com: Any Danger from Cedar Fumes?; Michael Dresdner and Ellis Walentine; 2010
- CBC News: "Teens sniffing Mothballs to Get High, Doctors Report"; July 27, 2006
Cedar Oil Toxicity
Cedar oil has a sweet, woodsy smell and is used for aromatherapy, in scented products, as a food additive and for pest...
Mothballs as a Cat Repellent
You can't teach cats to respect humans' personal property, but electronic deterrents and some plants and herbs can keep them away from...
Deer Repellents: Moth Balls
Moth balls are a pesticide that has been used extensively in storage of clothing to prevent moth damage. Moth balls are solid,...
How to Identify Signs of Mothball Poisoning
Mothballs are a pesticide and their ingredients can be harmful to humans and pets. If mothballs are ingested or inhaled, there is...
How to Get a Smell Out of New Drawers
Remove odor from brand-new dresser drawers by airing them out all day, if possible. Place a bowl of coffee grounds or baking...
The Effects of Inhaling Moth Balls
Moth balls contain a highly toxic substance called naphthalene. Although the FDA has determined moth balls to be safe for general use,...
Are Mothballs Harmful?
Mothballs contain chemicals that emit fumes as the balls break down. These fumes are actually caused by an insecticide, designed to kill...