Raves are a popular party style where loud, heavy-thumping dance music is played intermixed with light shows and colorfully dressed folks dancing. Dressing for a rave is easy and requires some bold and bright colors and a little resourcefulness. If you are attending a rave dance party, learn how to easily put together an outfit that will help you stand out as you shake it on the dance floor.
Things You'll Need
- Fishnet tights (neon colored)
- Tank top or T-shirt (bright colored)
- Colored tights (bright colored)
- Spray paint (bright colored)
- Permanent markers (bright colors)
- Comfortable jeans, shorts or a skirt
Cut down the inside middle of your fishnet tights at the seam where the two legs are sewn together. Stop cutting three inches before you reach the waistband. Cut off the bottom toe area of each leg on your tights cutting 2 inches off in length.
Stick socks in your shoes and remove the laces. Spray paint the outsides of your shoes a neon color outdoors in a well-ventilated area and let paint dry for two hours. Color your sneakers with brightly colored permanent markers to make them pop and add your own funky designs then re-lace them.
Spray paint your baseball cap on the outside with neon-colored paint. Allow the paint to dry two hours. Do not spray the inside as you don't want paint to flake off on your hair. Draw designs on your hat with markers. For example draw your name, music notes to fit the music theme of a rave, or whatever design expresses your style.
Put the fishnets on as you would a shirt only instead you will stick your head inside the fishnets and through the hole you cut in the middle and loop your arms into the legs. Put on your tank top or T-shirt over. Put on tights if you have them and pair them with shorts or a skirt or just wear comfortable jeans or pants. Put on your sneakers and top off your neon-rave look with your hat.
Tips & Warnings
- Glowsticks are popular at raves as they provide more light and go with the light shows that usually occur. Tie glowsticks to your outfit, purchase glowstick jewelry from a local party or craft store or just hold two or three as you wave your arms to the beat.
- Find shoes to spray paint for cheap at thrift stores instead of using an expensive pair you own or a pair you wear all the time.
- This is a basic guide for a simple and fun rave outfit, feel free to branch out and pair other brightly colored garments or accessories with your mix.
- Photo Credit Brand X Pictures/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images
How to Cut & Bead a T-Shirt
T-shirts are a classic garment that can be dressed up to fit anyone’s personal style. Beading your T-shirts gives them a little...
How to Dress for a Rave -- Women
The key to dressing for a rave lies in capturing the essence of the event. Forward-thinking, futurist fashion reflects the electronic beats...
How to Dress for a Rave - Men
Dark, dirty warehouse. Sweaty, euphoric bodies. Feel the vibes of love.
How to Create a '20s Costume for Women
Create 1920s women's costumes, like a flapper costume, by sewing strips of fringe or fabric onto a dress. Make 1920s women's costumes...