Store-bought lotions include chemicals to preserve the lotions, so that they will last a long time. If you have sensitive skin, these lotions may irritate your skin, instead of making your skin feel softer and more hydrated. Fortunately, you can make your own homemade lotion, using all-natural ingredients. These ingredients will benefit your body, without the risk of causing dryness and irritation.
Things You'll Need
- Double boiler
- Emulsifying wax
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz. hot distilled water
- Mixing bowl
- Vitamin E
- Cocoa butter
- Grapefruit seed extract
- Rose geranium essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Old lotion bottle
Melt 1 tablespoon of emulsifying wax, 1 tablespoon of beeswax, 1 tablespoon of glycerin and 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil in a double boiler.
Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of Borax in 4 ounces of hot distilled water. You'll need to do this in a mixing bowl.
Transfer the ingredients in the double boiler to the mixing bowl and combine.
Add 1 teaspoon of vitamin E, 1 teaspoon of cocoa butter, 5 drops of grapefruit seed extract, 5 drops of rose geranium essential oil, and 20 drops of lavender essential oil to the mixing bowl and combine well.
Store the homemade lotion in an old empty lotion container, or a small plastic container with a lid.
Tips & Warnings
- Substitute the extra virgin olive oil with coconut oil.
- Switch out the essential oils with the scents you desire.
- Add 3 to 5 drops of a fragrance oil to enhance the smell of the lotion.
- Use the lotion within the first month or two of creating it. Washington State University warns that harmful bacteria begin to grow in homemade lotions after a few months have passed.
- Photo Credit Thinkstock/Comstock/Getty Images