You can file for unemployment in Pennsylvania by phone, videophone, fax, mail or online. Regardless of how you choose to file, you'll receive a claim confirmation letter, notice of financial determination and unemployment compensation handbook. Your determination notice will state whether you have been approved or denied benefits. You can check on the status of your application sooner by calling the Department of Labor's service center or visiting its website.
Phone or Online
To check the status of your application by phone, call the service center at 1-888-313-7284. You can reach a representative Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. However, Mondays are reserved for callers whose Social Security number ends with an odd number and Tuesdays for those that end with an even number. Anyone can call Wednesday through Friday. Another option is visiting the "Claim Status" page of the DOL's website. Enter your Social Security Number and PIN number, then click the "Login" button.
- Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry: Filing An Initial Application for Unemployment Compensation Benefits
- Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry: Eligibility FAQs
- Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry: Claim Status Login
- Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry: Contact Us
- Photo Credit George Doyle/Stockbyte/Getty Images