The Master Cleanse is a detoxification method that lasts between six and 10 days. It is also called the Lemon Detox Diet or the Maple Syrup Diet. The diet was created by Stanley Burroughs in 1941. The diet requires drinking a mixture of lemon juice, grade B maple syrup and cayenne pepper. ColonHealthCleanse.org reports cleanse helps with the cleaning process while resetting the metabolism for better weight loss. Since the cleanse is a liquid diet, that means that the dieter's metabolism will slow down because there is no food to fuel it. You can nonetheless do a few things to increase your metabolism while on this diet.
Things You'll Need
- Green tea
- Hot pepper powder
Exercise every day. According to epigee.org, your metabolism will naturally speed when you exercise up in order to burn up enough energy to fuel your movements. Your metabolism will remain elevated for up to 12 hours after you work out. Do some light exercising such as walking for least 30 minutes a day and add some muscle conditioning for 15 minutes at night.
Drink 10 cups of green tea every day. Just add the tea to the water you are using in the diet. Drink a few cups of black coffee as well. Teazone.org reports that green tea contains polyphenol, a powerful antioxidant that when partnered with caffeine helps boost metabolism and increase fat-burning and weight-loss. Regular drinkers of green tea, according to Teazone, usually experience a 4 percent increase in metabolism.
Increase your intake of hot pepper and use the powder because it is more potent. Hot pepper is already included in the Master Diet, so slowly try to increase the amount you can stand. According to Cidpusa.org, the active chemical in peppers directly induces thermogenesis, the process by which cells convert energy.
Drink 1 gallon of water every day or more if you can. You need water to help your metabolic processes to work properly. Besides, water is part of the Master Cleanse Diet. Dehydration slows down metabolism as much as 3 percent, according to Vanderbilt University research.
Tips & Warnings
- Before starting the Master Cleanse Diet, try to eat your food with hot pepper to get used to the spice. Try hot Indian and African foods.
- Check with your doctor before starting any diet.
- Do not stay more than a week at a time on this program because you will be fasting and you will not be absorbing enough nutrients and vitamins.
- Exercise, but get some rest too.
- Teazone: Drinking Green Tea Speeds Up Your Metabolism
- CIDPUSA: Peppers Can Really Improve Metabolism
- Find Out About The Benefits From Lemonade Diet Results
- Vanderbilt University; Health Psychology Home Page; Have You Ever Wondered How Many Glasses of Water You Should Drink a Day?; Ali Mollenhauer