Fabric-to-wood adhesion is commonly used in furniture-making. Typically, the most effective and best-looking fabric-to-wood method is through the application of aerosol trim cement glue. This glue is extremely sticky, won't saturate surfaces, and works on all types of fabric and wood. In addition, it stays sticky forever and is effective on jobs of all sizes.
Things You'll Need
- Aerosol trim cement
Spray a light, even coat of adhesive over the wood. Don't let it pool up. Allow it to cure for three minutes.
Hold the fabric up so that one end is square with one edge of the wood. Adjust the fabric so it overlaps the edge by one inch. Lay the fabric down on the wood. The fabric will instantly bond with the glue.
Hold the fabric up with one hand as you press and smooth it into the glue with your other hand.
Lower the fabric slowly with one hand, feeding it to your other hand to smooth and flatten as you move across the wood. If you start to get a wrinkle, pull up on the fabric gently, and then smooth it out with your other hand. Smooth and lower across the wood until the fabric is completely bonded to it.
Trim the edges of the fabric off with scissors.
Tips & Warnings
- Cut your fabric at least two inches bigger than the wood. It should overlap the wood on all sides.
- For best results, iron or steam out all wrinkles from your fabric beforehand.
- Wear a mask and work in a well-ventilated area when using the adhesive.
- This glue is easily found online or in most home improvement stores.
- Popular arts and crafts applications for this method include building model ships, dollhouses and hand-made furniture.
- If you get adhesive on something other than the wood, you can remove it with acetone.
- Always check the nozzle of the glue to make sure it's pointing in the right direction before spraying.
- Wear breathing protection when using aerosol glue.
- Photo Credit Hemera Technologies/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images
How to Attach Fabric With Spray Adhesive
Changing the look of a room can be as easy as changing one chair or adding a padded headboard. Even if you...
How to Remove Wood Glue From Clothes
Wood glue is composed of a chemical formula that forms a strong bonding agent capable of binding to and holding two pieces...
How to Transfer Pictures Onto Wood With Elmer's Glue
Wooden keepsake boxes, toy chests and jewelry boxes with smooth sanded surfaces can have pictures transferred onto them. You can transfer pictures...
How to Attach Velcro to Wood
Velcro, or hook and loop tape, comes in a variety of forms for many different applications. You can attach Velcro to virtually...
What Type of Glue Sticks to Corkboard?
If you want to modify your corkboard with fabric or glued-on embellishments, choosing a suitable glue ensures you won't be left with...