Many young girls like to play dress-up and wear makeup. Mothers and daughters share a similar love of lip products. In fact, the most-used cosmetic products, according to Karen Grant of the research Group, NPD, are lip products. Young girls and women of all ages use lip balms, glosses and lipsticks. Now you can bond with your daughter, by creating a homemade fruity lip balm right in your kitchen.
Things You'll Need
- 1 tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp. honey
- Powdered drink mix (The packet should say it makes 2 quarts)
- 1/4 tsp. hot water
- Clean container
Place 1 tbsp. shortening in a pan. Add 1 tsp. honey. Place over low heat and stir the ingredients. Cook until the shortening and honey are melted. Turn the stove off.
Open a packet of fruit-flavored powdered drink mix. Pour the contents into a bowl. Add 1/4 tsp. hot water. Stir the ingredients, until the powder is completely dissolved.
Take 1 tsp. of the powdered drink mixture and place it into the shortening and honey mixture, and stir.
Pour the lip balm into a clean container. You can store it in the refrigerator for three days.
Tips & Warnings
- Experiment by adding more powdered drink mix to the shortening and honey, for more flavor and a darker color.
- Try adding fresh berries instead of powdered drink mix. You can add 10 fresh cranberries to 1 tsp. of honey and 1 tsp. of almond oil. Microwave the mixture. Strain the berries with a sieve and pour into a clean container.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/BananaStock/Getty Images
Quick & Easy Recipe for Lip Balm
Protecting your lips from harsh sun or dry weather will keep them soft and supple. Instead of purchasing lip balm, which may...
Homemade Lip Gloss for Kids
Your four-year-old wants to wear lip gloss “just like Mommy,” but you want control over the ingredients; or perhaps you’re just looking...