Japanese eggplant are similar to traditional eggplant but tend to be smaller and thinner. Their purple skin is so thin you do not need to peel it before serving and it yields a beautifully colored pickle. Japanese eggplant can be pickled in less than 0 minutes and can be flavored with garlic, ginger or other seasonings and spices. Pickling Japanese eggplants is a simple way to prepare and serve your farmer's market haul or garden harvest.
Things You'll Need
- 1 lb. Japanese eggplant
- Mandolin or very sharp knife
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. vinegar
Wash the eggplant under cool running water.
Slice the eggplant as thinly as possible using either a mandolin or very sharp knife.
Put the eggplant slices and salt in a colander. Stir together and let sit for 15 minutes or until the eggplant slices no longer release any liquid.
Rinse the eggplant slices again under cool running water.
Place the eggplant slices in a bowl along with the sugar and vinegar. Enjoy immediately.
Tips & Warnings
- If you would like your eggplant pickle to keep longer, bring the vinegar and sugar to a boil before pouring over the eggplant. This will not have as bright of a flavor but will keep in your refrigerator for at least a week. For a Spanish take on pickled eggplant, add cloves of minced garlic to the vinegar. You can also add any hot peppers or spices to make a hot pickled eggplant or add sesame oil, soy sauce and rice vinegar for an Asian-style version.
- "The Penguin Companion to Food"; Alan Davidson; 2002
- "How to Cook Everything"; Mark Bittman; 1998
- Arizona Master Garden Manual: Eggplant
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
When Do I Pick Japanese Eggplant?
Japanese eggplant is a thinner version of the typical dark purple eggplant seen in U.S. supermarkets. Its color is also much lighter....
How to make Japanese Eggplant
When my husband and I go to our favorit Sushi restaurant we always order Japanese Eggplant with an miso glaze as an...
How to Make Pickled Beets
Redolent of country kitchens and dusty cellars, pickled beets have a nostalgic place in culinary Americana. Once you learn the technique and...
How to Use a Mandoline Slicer
Turning out consistently thin, even slices of fruit or vegetables with a knife poses a challenge. Professionals invest years of effort and...
How to Pickle Char-Grilled Eggplant
Grilled eggplant is a pleasant side dish during barbecue season, when the grill is already in use. The hint of smokiness from...