The Lemonade Cleanse is also known as the Master Cleanse, Lemon Detox Diet or Maple Syrup Diet. It was created by Stanley Burroughs in 1941 and popularized again in the '90s by Peter Glickman. It is promoted as a way to detoxify the body and reduce cravings for food, nicotine, alcohol and drugs. People have used the cleanse to lose weight, but the weight lost on the cleanse is primarily water weight and some muscle tissue, according to doctors.
Things You'll Need
- 60 oz. pure filtered water
- 12 tbsp. organic grade B maple syrup
- 12 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 32 oz. spring water (recommended)
- 2 tsp. sea salt (recommended)
- Laxative tea (optional)
Lemonade Cleanse Recipes
Combine 60 oz. filtered water, 12 tbsp. maple syrup, 12 tbsp. lemon juice and 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper in a large container. This will make one day's worth of lemonade. Store the lemonade in the refrigerator.
Heat 32 oz. spring water and add 2 tsp. sea salt to make a single serving of the saline wash.
Brew laxative tea according to package instructions. Do not add sugar or sweetener to the tea.
The Cleanse Regimen
Drink the saline wash or the laxative tea each morning to stimulate bowel movements. This rids the body of toxins and waste that accumulate over time. Drink only one cup each morning of the saline wash or the laxative tea.
Drink the lemonade throughout the day as a meal substitute and whenever you feel hungry. Drink the full 60 oz. of lemonade each day.
Substitute herbal tea occasionally, if desired. Avoid food or other drinks, except the lemonade. Do not add sugar or sweetener to the herbal tea. Use decaffeinated tea in the evening to avoid sleeplessness.
Drink the laxative tea each night before bed to stimulate the bowels. Drink only one cup of the laxative tea in the evening, and do not substitute the saline wash at this time.
Stick to the lemonade cleanse detox program for four to 14 days. The recommended cleanse duration is 10 days. The cleanse can be repeated every few months.
After the Cleanse
Begin the first day after the cleanse with only water and organic orange juice. Stay on this liquid diet for a full day. Drink as much as you desire.
Add light soup to the water and orange juice diet starting the second day. Vegetable soup is easy to digest at this time. Organic soups are recommended.
Add fruits, vegetables and salads gradually the third day after the cleanse. Raw, organic fruits and vegetables are recommended. Continue to drink plenty of water. Avoid meat and milk for two weeks after completing the cleanse.
Tips & Warnings
- Water filtered with a home water purifier is recommended over tap water or bottled water to mix the lemonade and tea.
- The cleanse is promoted to fight illness, fatigue and cravings as well as boost energy levels and rid the body of toxins.
- Side effects of the cleanse include diarrhea, abdominal cramping, headaches, dizziness and sluggishness.
- Doctors usually do not recommend any cleanse because the kidneys and liver cleanse the body naturally.
- Weight lost from the cleanse will likely be water weight, not fat. Most or all of the weight is gained back as soon as the cleanse is finished.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images
How to Make Lemon Detox Diet
The newest Diet taking over the popular Hollywood Crowd at the moment is called the Lemon Detox Diet. Many of Hollywood's Elite...
Lemonade Colon Cleanse Recipe
Lemon is a popular ingredient in colon cleanse recipes. Lemons contain potassium, phosphorus, folate, vitamin A and calcium as well as the...