Electronic cigarettes deliver a dose of nicotine to the user by vaporizing liquid as the "smoker" inhales. E-cigarettes usually consist of a rechargeable battery and logic board, an atomizer or heating element and a mouthpiece that contains a sponge-type substance that holds the liquid that is vaporized. Commercial liquid is sold in many flavors and nicotine strengths, but some e-cigarette users make their own by mixing the ingredients at home. Many of the ingredients can be found at a local pharmacy --- excluding commercial nicotine liquid --- which can be bought from a specialty retailer.
Things You'll Need
- Vegetable glycerin
- Oral syringe
- Distilled water
- 50 mg commercial nicotine liquid
- Dropper bottle, 250 mL or larger
Draw 130 mL of vegetable glycerin into the syringe and deposit it in the dropper bottle. Propylene glycerin can be used instead of vegetable glycerin if it is available. Vegetable glycerin-based liquids cause electronic cigarettes to generate more vapor than propylene glycerine-based liquids.
Measure 30 mL of water into the oral syringe and add it to the dropper bottle. Vegetable glycerin has a high viscosity and needs to be mixed with other liquids to be used in an e-cigarette. Cap and shake the bottle to mix the liquids.
Add 40 mL of nicotine liquid to the bottle.
Cap the bottle and shake vigorously to mix the liquids. Apply the recommended drops to the cartridge.
Tips & Warnings
- In this mixture nicotine accounts for 29 percent of the overall contents of the formula. Nicotine levels should not exceed 33 percent of any one mixture. E-cigarette refill liquid does not need to contain nicotine. For flavored vapor replace the nicotine liquid in the mix with flavored liquid from an electronic cigarette retailer.
- Electronic cigarettes have not been approved by the FDA as a smoking cessation aid. While e-cigarettes do not contain tobacco, nicotine is a poisonous substance that can cause health problems.
- Nicotine should be handled with extreme care and kept out of reach of children and animals.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
How to Refill an Electronic Cigarette with e-Liquid
Electronic cigarettes provide users with a smokeless alternative to traditional cigarettes that consist of tobacco and an assortment of chemicals shown to...
How to Refill Electronic Cigarette Cartridges
Electronic cigarettes are a new fad that has been sweeping the smoking world. Instead of using the old-fashioned method of actually lighting...
How to Start My Own E-Cig Business
The e-cig or electronic cigarette is a smoking alternative that is designed to help smokers reduce the harmful side effects of smoking,...
How to Recharge an Electronic Cigarette
Most electronic cigarettes use very similar methods to recharge, including using USB, a wall adapter or a car charger.
How to Insert a Liquid Into an E-Cigarette
e-Cigarettes are exploding in popularity as a less-risky, inexpensive way for smokers to deal with their habit. They atomize or heat a...
How to Smoke E-Cigarettes Without Coughing
An electronic cigarette or e-cigarette make look like a typical cigarette, but it's actually an alternative to typical cigarettes containing tar and...
How to Make Cartomizer Juice
A cartomizer is a development in e-cigarette technology that allows the smoker to dispose of the cart that holds the e-liquid, and...