Battery life is one of the most important features to your iPhone, and there are several myths about how to charge the battery correctly for the first time -- the concern being that if you do it "wrong," your battery is doomed. However, the iPhone uses lithium batteries, which do not have the same adverse charging issues of nickel batteries. The only thing you have to do the first time you charge the iPhone battery is to charge it up 100 percent.
Things You'll Need
- USB cord or wall adapter
Plug your iPhone into your computer or wall adapter to begin the charging process. You can manage the iPhone settings in iTunes while it's charging, so connecting it to the computer will allow you to set up the iPhone at the same time.
Leave the iPhone plugged in until the battery indicator shows that it is fully charged. According to Apple's support documents, you do not have to condition the battery by leaving it on the charger for 24 hours.
Run the battery through a full cycle at least once a month. Apple defines a full cycle as charging the battery fully, then using it until it's completely discharged. Cycling the battery once a month helps the battery function better.
Tips & Warnings
- You can charge your battery whenever you need to, no matter how full or empty the battery is. Lithium batteries -- which the iPhone uses -- have none of the adverse memory effects of nickel-based rechargeable batteries.
- It is OK to let your battery charge overnight, even if the battery will be finished charging halfway through the night; the battery does not overcharge.
- Lithium batteries have a limited number of charge cycles; while your battery should last for at least 400 charge cycles with proper maintenance, you will eventually need to replace the battery in your iPhone.
- Remove your iPhone from its carrying case when charging; certain cases can cause the iPhone to overheat during the charging process.
- Photo Credit Joe Raedle/Getty Images News/Getty Images
How to Charge an iPod for the First Time
To fully enjoy the portability of your iPod, you need a fully charged battery. Effectively charging your iPod's battery before you use...
How to Charge an iPhone 3G
Having an iPhone 3G is an exciting prospect, and you may be excited to play with it as soon as you bring...
How to Charge an iPhone From USB
The iPhone can be used not only to place phone calls, but also to check email, watch videos, run applications and surf...
Charging Instructions for a Deep Cycle Battery
Deep cycle batteries are designed to withstand discharging of up to 80 percent of their stored energy over a period of time....
How to Charge an iPhone in an Otter Case
An Otter case for the iPhone is a protective case that is designed to secure the iPhone and protect it from scratches...
When Is an iPhone Fully Charged?
Like most portable devices, the iPhone is powered by rechargeable battery technology. This lowers end-user costs and makes a mobile device generally...