Razor cuts can surprise you. One moment you are shaving your legs or face and the next you see blood gushing down your skin. The cut doesn't seem like it will stop bleeding anytime soon. Instead of continuing your shaving routine, you are now battling blood drops and trying to keep them from staining the floor or your clothes. Improper shaving technique and the use of dull blades can be to blame for your newly-obtained cut. Using a styptic pencil is one of the quickest ways to stop bleeding from razor cuts.
Things You'll Need
- Styptic pencil
Dab the cut with a wet washcloth to get rid of any blood that may be covering it.
Dip your styptic pencil in water and dab it over your razor cut. Expect to feel a stinging sensation. The aluminum sulfate in the pencil contracts the blood vessels and stops the bleeding. The cut is sealed so no dirt and debris can enter it and cause infections.
Rinse your styptic pencil with water after each use and let it air dry.
Tips & Warnings
- Use a clean, sharp blade each time you shave to avoid cuts and nicks.
- Shave right after coming out of the shower because your hair and skin are soft and easier to manage.
- You can purchase a styptic pencil from online retailers or find it in the shaving aisle of your local drug store.
- Keep your styptic pencil out of reach of children.
- If the bleeding won't stop, discontinue the use of the styptic pencil and contact your doctor.
- Photo Credit Digital Vision./Digital Vision/Getty Images
What Is a Styptic Pen?
It is easy to slip and cut the skin, drawing blood, when shaving your chin or leg. One of the quickest ways...
How to Stop the Bleeding
When treating any minor cut or laceration, you must first and foremost stop the bleeding. In most cases, a minor wound will...
How to Stop the Bleeding From a Shaving Nick
Once again, you are shaving your legs or face, when you feel that darned burning sensation. You need to stop the bleeding...
How to Stop Razor Bumps
Razor bumps are an unfortunate side affect of shaving for many people. They can be unsightly, uncomfortable and even painful. With the...
How to Use a Styptic Pencil
A styptic pencil is used to stop minor bleeding that can result from shaving nicks and small cuts. Styptic pencils can also...
Ways to Stop Breakthrough Bleeding
Breakthrough bleeding is when a woman, usually on some type of oral contraceptive, has continual bleeding after her menstruation period has finished....