Remove a credit or debit card from your PayPal account by going to your account's Wallet area, which you can access on the top menu on most pages. Under certain circumstances, PayPal won't allow you to remove a card -- for instance, if you have a pending transaction or if the card is the backup payment method for an in-process instant bank payment. In addition, users have reported being unable to remove cards under any circumstance; if this occurs, contact customer service.
Removing a Credit or Debit Card
Log in to your PayPal account and select the My PayPal button in the menu to access your primary PayPal dashboard.
Click Wallet to open a page displaying your bank accounts and credit cards.
Select the card you wish to remove.
Click Edit to open a dialog with editable fields.
5. Click Remove Card and then choose Remove to confirm card removal. Your Wallet page re-opens, and the card has been removed.
Troubleshooting Problems During Card Removal
PayPal doesn't allow you to remove a card when:
- You have a transaction that is pending or the
card you are trying to remove is the backup payment method for an instant bank
payment that may be in progress.
- You have a negative balance in your PayPal
Further, PayPal states that removing your only credit card while retaining a confirmed bank account means that you will be unable to make instant bank payments but instead will have to send eChecks, which take several days to process.
PayPal's documentation is frequently duplicated with outdated entries existing alongside current documentation. For example, the statement on eChecks replacing instant bank payments could not be verified in testing, as of publication.
Multiple forums and reports from PayPal users, including PayPal's own member-to-member forum, suggest that removing a credit card is sometimes not as simple as described here. A common complaint is that a user is denied the ability to remove a credit card because a transaction is in process already, when in some cases, there is no such transaction.
If you receive an error message that you know is erroneous, for instance, "You may not remove your funding source while an authorizat
Contact PayPal either by phone or email:
- Call customer service at 1 (888) 221-1161 or 1-402-935-2050, if outside the U.S.
- Email customer service from PayPal's help page. For help on removing a credit card, select Bank Account/Credit Card as the primary category and then Credit Card/Debit Card - Add/Remove/Edit as the subcategory. Enter specifics into the provided fields.