Do you have a red, swollen, tender bump above your eyelash line? If so, you may have an infected eyelash follicle, also known as a sty. This type of infection occurs when bacteria from the skin clogs a follicle gland. According to MedicineNet.com, 90 to 95 percent of the time, the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus is behind this type of infection.
Although a sty may look and feel awful, the majority of sties are harmless and can easily be treated at home with a warm compress.
Things You'll Need
Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
Hold a clean washcloth underneath running warm water. When the cloth is soaked thoroughly, remove it and wring the water out.
Close the affected eye and place the washcloth over top of it.
Hold the washcloth over the eye for 10 minutes. If the washcloth starts to feel cool, re-wet it with warm water.
Repeat this process four to six times a day, until the sty is healed. You should see improvement within a day or two.
Tips & Warnings
- If the sty gets worse or does not improve within a week, contact your health care provider. Topical antibiotics or surgical intervention may be necessary.
- To help prevent future sties, wash your hands thoroughly before touching your eyes or surrounding skin and regularly clean off any excess oil that may form on your eyelids.
- Do not press or squeeze a sty as this can cause the infection to spread to other eyelash follicles.
- Do not wear contact lenses while you have a sty, as the contact lenses can become contaminated with bacteria.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
What to Do With a Swollen Eyelash Follicle?
How to Treat an Infected Eyelash. Itchy Eyelash Follicles. Common Ailments of the Eye. Causes of a Swollen Lower Eyelid. Ingrown Eyelash...
Itchy Eyelash Follicles
A stye is a bump that can appear because a pore has been infected by bacteria from the skin. It initially feels...
How to Get Rid of My Ingrown Eyelash
How to Get Rid of My Ingrown Eyelash. Ingrown eyelashes, while merely annoying at first, could actually be a sign of something...
Infected Hair Follicle Treatment
There is a simple solution to treating infected hair follicles. This is a common skin problem that can be embarrassing. Keeping skin...
How to Treat Loss of Eyelashes
How to Treat an Infected Eyelash. Do you have a red, swollen, tender bump above your eyelash line? If so, you may...
How to Get Rid of an Eye Pimple (stye or Sty)
You might also start to see a small bump on the edge of your eyelid. ... If you have a red and...