Power inverters convert 12-volt, direct-current to 110-120 volt, alternating-current. They are generally used in automotive and marine applications to power appliances, computers, TVs and similar 120 AC devices. Power inverters come in a wide selection of wattage, from 100 to more than 1000 watts. Hard wiring a power inverter to the vehicle or source battery is recommended for wattage over 350.
Things You'll Need
- Power inverter
- 20 ft, 10-12 gauge wire
- Mega or ANL Type Fuse holder
- 30--100 amp Mega or ANL type fuse
- Wire ties
- Electrical tape
- Battery isolator switch (optional)
- Standard 3 prong dual outlet (optional)
- Outlet box (optional)
- 10 ft plastic conduit cover (optional)
Measure the distance from the battery to the chosen location of the power inverter. The distance should be as short as possible.
Mount the fuse holder between the battery and the power inverter location. Situate the fuse holder as far from any heat source as possible, without compromising the length of the wire.
Run the wire from the battery location to the fuse and from the fuse to the power inverter location. Secure the wire with wire ties and electrical tape to whatever permanent medium is in the installation location.
Mount the power inverter making certain all grounding instructions accompanying the unit are followed.
Mount the power inverter, making certain all grounding instructions accompanying the unit are followed.
Tips & Warnings
- Cover the wiring with plastic conduit cover if installation will be exposed to weather. For correct fuse amperage, divide the total wattage of your power inverter by 11 and round up to the next whole number.
- Many power inverters come with a battery isolation switch. If not so equipped, isolate the power inverter from the battery by installing a battery isolator switch in line with the positive lead between the fuse and the power inverter. When installing a high wattage power inverter for multi-purpose use, it might be best to install a three-prong dual outlet in an outlet box mounted in a convenient location.
- Read the power inverter instructions thoroughly. Installation procedures vary with brand and power usage. Remember the power inverter drains current directly from the battery. Don't over-tax the battery without charging it.
- Photo Credit Power Pack image by Cinneman from Fotolia.com
How to Install a 3000 Watt Inverter
Installation of a Power Inverter; How to Hardwire a Power ... How to Install a Power Inverter in a Vehicle. Some power...
How to Wire an Inverter to a Breaker Panel
If you are using a power inverter for a Renewable Energy system at your home with either solar panels or a wind...
How to Install a Power Inverter in a Vehicle
How to Install a Car Power Inverter. The automobile has become an extension of today's office. Workers are spending more and more...
How to Wire Up an RV Inverter
Power inverters are put into RVs so they can change AC current (120 volt) to DC current (12 volt) electricity. This gives...
How to Build DC to AC Power Inverters
Most power inverters manufactured for North America convert a 12-volt DC input source into 120 volts at the inverter outlet.Many power ......
How to Connect an Inverter to a 12V Battery
How to Connect an Inverter to a 12V Battery. Power inverters are electrical devices that ... How to Connect 12V Batteries to...