The 1964 Chevy Impala is a classic full size automobile distinguished by its symmetrical triple taillights. As time has gone on, the Impala’s low-rider design has become an ideal drawing subject for many artists. Drawing a 1964 Chevy Impala follows the same rules that apply to drawing most automobiles. Knowledge in both still life drawing and automobile design are needed for this task. Drawing specific car models is challenging at first, but over time even beginning artists can master this craft.
Things You'll Need
- Drawing pencil
- Drawing paper
- Black pen
- 1964 Chevy Impala reference picture
Create a rough outline for the Chevy Impala using a pencil. Start by marking the floor level with a line and use basic shapes to map out the cars body and wheels. Study your reference picture to help map out the cars basic shape. Do not add any inner detail to the car.
Complete your outline by clearly defining the curves of the car’s body and wheels. Erase any unnecessary marks left by your rough outline. Follow your floor line to keep the car level and in proportion.
Sketch the inner details of your Chevy Impala with a pencil. Review your reference picture to keep the details accurate and in proportion with the car. Draw lightly and work slowly when adding your car’s details.
Study your reference picture and correct any mistakes you find in either the outline or details. Darken your drawing with a black pen or drawing pencil. Erase any extra markings for a clean look.
Complete your drawing by adding shadows and highlights. Review your picture once again and make any minor changes needed.
Tips & Warnings
- Don’t be discouraged if your first drawing doesn’t come out the way you want. Practice regularly to increase the quality of your car drawings.
- Study other artist’s drawing techniques. Doing so will give you new ideas for your own drawings.
- There are many different methods to drawing cars. Explore different styles to see what works best for you.
- Cars are extremely detailed. Use your reference picture and follow your outlines regularly to keep the car in proportion.
- Photo Credit classic impala headlights image by Jorge Moro from Fotolia.com