With a Sony VAIO laptop and a projector, you can present ideas and reports to a large room of people or watch large-format movies in your home. In fact, by adding a projector to your VAIO, you can turn any wall in your home into a viewing screen larger than even the largest televisions. Playing a movie or presentation with your VAIO laptop and a projector is not difficult at all and only takes a couple of minutes to set up.
Things You'll Need
- VGA cable
- Projector viewing screen (optional)
Turn off your Sony VAIO laptop computer. Place the projector so that it is facing a large viewing screen or a light-colored wall. Plug the projector's power cord into an available electrical outlet. Do not turn on the projector at this time.
Connect one end of the projector cable to the blue video port on the rear of the Sony VAIO laptop, then tighten and secure the thumbscrews. Connect the other end of the cable to the blue or white video input on the projector. Both ends of the cable should be the same in most cases.
Turn on the power to the projector first and then the Sony VAIO laptop. Wait for the laptop to boot into Windows.
Locate the small icon of a monitor on the Sony VAIO's "F7" function key. Press the "FN" key and the "F7" key at the same time to toggle the display between the VAIO laptop and the projector.
Press the "Fn" and "F7" until the VAIO laptop display is viewable through the projector. Adjust the projector's focus until the picture is clear and not distorted.
Tips & Warnings
- Connect a set of external computer speakers to the green line-out port on your Sony VAIO laptop when playing the movie through the projector or showing a presentation, so that everyone in the room can hear the sound.
- San Francisco State University: Laptops and Projectors: How to, Tips and Hints
- Sony Support: User Guide -- VGN-F100 Series Laptop
- North Central College: Instructional Media - Connecting a Laptop Computer to the Toshiba TLP 261Data Projector
- University of Wisconsin River Falls: Division of Technology Services: Setting up a Laptop Computer and LCD Projector
- Idaho Audio Visual Rentals: Connecting Computers to LCD Projectors
- Photo Credit David Freund/Photodisc/Getty Images