If your Maytag Neptune washer is filling but not draining, the solution to the problem may be simpler than you think. There are many things that can cause washing machines such as the Maytag Neptune TI to stop filling and refuse to drain; it's a good idea to check the small things first.
Things You'll Need
- Metal hanger
- Plastic basin
Check to make sure that the washing machine has been plugged into an outlet that is working. The fuse may have blown while the washer was filling or before it had the chance to drain. Find the circuit breaker or the fuse box in your home and reset the machine. Wait to see if the machine starts filling again or begins to drain.
Make sure that the clothes in the washing machine are not preventing the water from draining. A washing machine can become unbalanced if there are only a few articles of clothing and the machine is set for a larger load. Restart the washing machine or wait to run a full load. After resituating the clothes, close the lid and pull the start knob on the Neptune TI to see if the machine drains.
Locate the drain hose behind the washing machine. Straighten out the hose if it appears to have any kinks that might be preventing the water from flowing.
Remove the hose from the wall and check to see if it is clogged. On most washing machine hookups, the hose will slide into a larger hole in the wall. Slide the hose out from the wall and use a flashlight to look for any obstructions. Use an unraveled coat hanger to pull out anything that might be trapped inside the hose. Place a plastic tub underneath the hose to catch any water that may drain out.
Try running the washing cycle again without detergent. According to Maytag, if the washing machine has been filled with too much detergent it will sometimes refuse to drain. The company suggests using low-sudsing laundry detergent.
Tips & Warnings
- If the above troubleshooting tips do not work, it is possible that the lid switch on the Maytag Neptune is not working. The lid switch tells the machine to stop running when the washing machine door is open. It is possible that this switch is malfunctioning when the door is closed. If you believe this is the case, contact an appliance repair person to check your lid switch.
- Make sure that the washing machine is unplugged or the power is turned off at the breaker before investigating any internal parts of the system.
- Maytag: Troubleshooting Washers
- "If It's Broke, Fix It"; Dan and Judy Ramsey; 2003
- Photo Credit waschmaschine image by Stefan HÃ¤uselmann from Fotolia.com
How to Troubleshoot a Maytag Washer That Will Not Drain
Draining problems with Maytag washer are often related to hoses. Either the inlet hose isn't attached properly, or the drain hose is...
What To Do if My Maytag Top Load Neptune Won't Drain & Spin
Manufactured by the Whirlpool Corporation, the Maytag top load Neptune washer is a high efficiency washing machine. If your Maytag Neptune washer...
Maytag Washer Drain Issues
A Maytag washer full of wet clothes and dirty, sudsy water is almost too horrid to contemplate, especially if the kids' school...