Keeping wrestling shoes clean can help avoid the spread of skin diseases, staphylococcal infections, ringworm, impetigo and herpes simplex virus, which can be spread via a dirty wrestling mat. When cleaning your wrestling shoes, be conscious of the material it is made of to ensure the shoes both holds its form and is clean enough to be used.
Things You'll Need
- Plastic basin
- Warm water
Fill a plastic basin with warm water. Do not add soap or any other chemicals that could damage the shoe's delicate material.
Dip a clean cloth into the warm water, then wring out the excess water. You want the cloth to be damp, not soaked.
Rub the wrestling shoe all over, using gentle circular motions to clean the shoe gradually. Take care not to damage the material or threads.
Wear wrestling shoe skins. This will allow you to wear the shoes occasionally when not on the mat, and eliminates the threat of picking up dust and dirt from the surrounding area.
Tips & Warnings
- Do not wash wrestling shoes in a washing machine or use any other kind of aggressive washing method. Wrestling shoes should be form-fitting and could lose their shape with anything other than a gentle wash with a damp cloth.
- Photo Credit Boys High School Wrestling 1 image by alice rawson from Fotolia.com
- How to Wash Sneakers
- How to Disinfect Used Shoes
- How to Wash Sneakers in a Washing Machine
- How to Wash Adidas Sneakers
- How to Determine if Sneakers Can Be Washed in a Washing Machine
- How to Clean and Sanitize Smelly Shoes
How to Clean Wrestling Mats
Wrestling mats can get pretty dirty. Whether you're in a place like a gym, health club or school, there are typically a...
How to Clean Wrestling Headgear
Keeping your wrestling headgear clean isn’t rocket science, but it does require a little planning and persistence. In fact, taking a few...
- How to Clean Sperry Top-Siders
How to Clean Keen Shoes
An overview of how to effectively clean Keen shoes at home, including shoes, boots and sandals that feature synthetic, leather and wool...
How to Customize Wrestling Shoes
From the ring of a professional wrestling match to the mat of an amateur freestyle match, the shoes can help distinguish a...
- How to Clean Odors Out of Stinky Water Shoes
- How to Clean Asics Shoes
How to Design Your Own Wrestling Shoes
Wrestling shoes are an essential part of the sport itself. Although the various types and brands of this specialized footwear have the...
- How to Clean Corduroy