Select PlayStation 2 games allow you to play online using your existing Internet connection. If you're using an older PS2 model (the bulky, first-generation model), you will need to use a network adapter. PS2 Slim users do not require a network adapter, as Ethernet support is built in. There is no Wi-Fi support in any PS2. To use wireless Internet with the PS2, you must use a third-party Ethernet bridge. The Ethernet bridge connects to your Ethernet port/network adapter and transmits the signal to your wireless router.
Things You'll Need
- Ethernet bridge
- Ethernet cable
- Coin (dime or nickel)
- PS2 network adapter
- Online startup disc or online-capable PlayStation 2 title with built-in online utility tool
Turn the PS2 off and unplug it from its electrical outlet. Skip to Step 2 if you're using the PS2 Slim (you do not need to connect a network adapter). Remove the expansion bay cover on the back of the PS2. Gently push the PS2 network adapter into position (with the network adapter logo facing upright) inside the expansion bay. Use a coin to tighten the screws by turning clockwise. Do this until the network adapter is secure.
Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the "Ethernet" port on the back of the PS2 or PS2 network adapter. Connect the other end to your Ethernet bridge.
Plug in the PS2 and turn it on. Insert the online startup disc (included with the network adapter) or any PS2 game with online support. The online configuration screen will open. From here, you will use the PS2 controller and onscreen keyboard to navigate the menus as required.
Enter a name for your PS2 wireless connection. Select "Yes" when asked if you already have an ISP. Select "High Speed Connection." Select "Automatic Settings." If your ISP (not router) requires a password and username, you will be prompted to enter it. The network adapter will test the connection. After the test is complete (and successful), you will have the option of saving the settings to a memory card (if applicable).
- PlayStation: How do I configure my PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system to play games online with a high speed/broadband network connection?
- PlayStation: How do I connect the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system to a wireless network connection for online gaming?
- PlayStation: How do I install the network adaptor for PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system (30000-50000)?
- Photo Credit John Howard/Lifesize/Getty Images
How to Use a PS2 Wireless Controller
PlayStation 2 gamers occasionally become frustrated with using controllers that become tangled up because of the wires. As a result, PS2 wireless...