Click the “Apps” option in the Windows Charms bar, then type “Control Panel” in the Search box. Click the “Control Panel” option when the entry displays on the screen.
The Point-to-Point over Ethernet protocol is used for DSL connectivity and cable modems that require a username and password. You can configure the PPPoE connection to always stay connected in your router’s administration interface. Though you can adjust these PPPoE settings in your router interface, you must configure the PPPoE connection username and password on your computer. If your service username or password changes with your ISP, you must create a new PPPoE connection on your computer.
Click the “Network and Internet” category, then click the “Internet Options” link in the Network and Internet screen. The Internet Properties window opens.
Click the “Connections” tab, then click the “Setup” button in the Connections screen to launch the Setup wizard. The Connect to Internet screen appears.
Click the “Broadband (PPPoE)” entry to open the new connection form.
Type the username and password provided by your ISP in the respective fields. Click the “Remember Password” check box so that you are not prompted to reenter your password if your connection is dropped and then reestablished. Click the “Allow Other People to Use This Connection” option to share the connection with other computers on your network.
Click the “Connect” button to test the connection. A success message appears when the connection is established.
Tips & Warnings
- If the connection initially fails during setup, retype your username and password, then re-attempt the connection.
- You can also launch the New Connection Wizard by right-clicking on the Network icon in the bottom right corner of the screen, then clicking "Open Network and Sharing Center." Click “Set Up New Connection” to start the wizard.
- To configure your PPPoE connection to always be on, log in to your router’s interface and check the “Stay Connected” or “Keep Alive" option in the PPPoE settings section.
- Information provided in this article applies to Windows 8. Instructions may vary slightly or significantly for other versions of Windows.
- Photo Credit Mario Tama/Getty Images News/Getty Images
How to Set Up PPPoE to Work With Windstream DSL
PPPoE, or Point to Point over Ethernet, is a type of networking protocol used by your computer to transfer data. Enabling this...
How to Configure a Belkin Wireless Router for PPPOE
The PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet) network protocol is used for connecting to modems using Ethernet ... How to Find...
What Is the PPPOE Access Concentrator on My Computer?
How to Find The PPPoe Settings on a Computer; Comments. Related Ads. Check It Out Parenting With Social Media by Mom.me You...
How to Set Up a PS3 Network
Find the Settings tab on the dashboard. ... select that option by highlighting PPPoE. ... How Do I Set Up My PlayStation...
PPPoE Vs. PPPoA Protocols
PPPoA Protocols. PPPoE means Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet. ... How to Find The PPPoe Settings on a Computer. PPPoE (point-to-point...
How to Find a Password for 2Wire
The company 2Wire manufactures DSL wireless routers for many carriers. If you pick up a used 2Wire DSL router, gaining access to...