Various factors take place when remodeling and redesigning a salon space. It requires a significant investment so careful planning and decision-making is key. One of the biggest trends is to "go green." You can save money and create a welcoming atmosphere that keeps clients coming back while creating an environmentally friendly salon space. For inspiration, look no further than nature and the seasonal elements.
Things You'll Need
- Retail space
- Design budget
Decide the color scheme for your salon. Color has been found to greatly influence the body and mind. Earthy tones and wood accents create a calming atmosphere, while vibrant colors, metal and glass accents create a lively, energetic atmosphere. Color also affects the way clients perceive the length of their visit. Bright hues are stimulating and create a faster pace, while softer colors slow down movement, creating a calm and relaxed experience.
Use color to link together the different parts of the salon. Color is a major stimulus that affects people physically, emotionally and psychologically. The ceiling, walls and floor take 80 percent of the color needed for a salon, while the remaining 20 percent is used for accents and furnishings.
Use the 75/20/5 percent rule when deciding the color scheme. There are many variations of color schemes, from complementary to monochromatic colors schemes. Complementary schemes are a based on opposite colors on the color wheel; monochromatic schemes use a variation of hues from one color. In the 75/20/5 rule, the main color is 75 percent of the space, the complementary variations of the main color are 25 percent, and 5 percent of the colors are for accents. Use materials to give character and enhance the color of the design, such as natural fibers, glass, woods and stone.
Maximize your space. The key to maximizing space in the salon is organization. Design an orderly, functional work space by incorporating multifunctional equipment and furniture. It takes effort and repetition to keep the space organized. Maximize the space by expertly rearranging the salon's furniture and equipment while following a prioritized wish list. Consider foot traffic patterns as well how employees work and relax during their workday. The reception desk, retail area, styling areas, shampoo areas and other work areas also need to be considered when designing your salon to maximize the space. The reception desk is the heart of the salon, so make it a prime focal point of the design.
Purchase the salon furniture. The equipment and furnishings needed for a salon will quickly add up, making it one of the most important investments in the salon. Visit showrooms and see the options in person to assure they are good quality. Research and check dealer references. Furniture dealers should be able to provide service when needed and show that their equipment is durable for several years. Plan ahead; always begin the purchasing process at least three months prior to opening day. Remember that good quality in all aspects of your business drives return customers.
Tips & Warnings
- Hire a professional interior designer who specializes in salons if your budget allows. A designer will provide guidance for an effective design. The designer will also be aware of old and new design trends.
- Always set the grand opening to be 30 days after the expected opening day to give yourself room to handle unexpected issues.
- Photo Credit ton salon image by corinne matusiak from Fotolia.com
Interior Decorating for Spas
Both home and commercial spas should convey a sense of soothing, warm relaxation and personal indulgence. From the color scheme to amenities,...
How to Design a Hair Salon
One of the most exciting parts of launching a new hair salon is designing its interior and exterior. The hair business is...
How to Design a Salon Spa
A salon spa combines the hair styling services of a traditional hair or nail salon with the holistic treatments of a spa...
How to Design Your Own Beauty Salon
Beauty salons are more than just a place to get your hair done. They are social scenes and places to unwind all...
How to Design a Home Salon
Keeping your business plans in mind, you can design a home salon to meet your needs, your clients' tastes and your budget....
Ideas for Salon Colors
The colors used to decorate a business, such as a salon, not only affect the way that business is perceived by customers....
Logo Ideas for a Nail Salon
Nail salon businesses seem to be flourishing and most small communities have a few to choose from. Make your salon stand apart...
Beauty Salon Interior Design Ideas
Creating the right atmosphere in your beauty salon is a vital part of attracting and keeping clients. A number of factors influence...
Design Tips for a Salon
A well-designed salon not only impresses clientele but maximizes income-generating floor space. Layout, equipment and overall design are important considerations when designing...