How Do You Obtain a Duplicate Copy of a Lost Federal Tax ID Number?


The IRS issues tax ID numbers to every individual who is subject to federal tax reporting. There are five types of federal tax identification numbers: social security number, employer ID number, individual taxpayer ID number, taxpayer ID number for pending U.S. adoptions and preparer taxpayer ID number.

Things You'll Need

  • Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card
  • Go to your local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center and request a duplicate copy of your Federal Tax ID Number. You can locate your local TAC via the IRS website (see Resources). Alternatively, you can use your local phone directory.

  • Request a duplicate Social Security card by filling out an SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card. Fill out the form and take it to your local Social Security office. Bring a form of identification such as your birth certificate or your state issued driver’s license. You are limited to three cards a year. There is a lifetime maximum of 10 replacement cards.

  • Contact the Internal Revenue Service Business and Specialty Tax line at 800-829-4933. Advise the operator that you have misplaced your tax ID number. You need to provide your identifying information: name, address and your taxpayer ID number, if available. Request that the IRS send a duplicate copy of your federal tax ID number via mail to your residence.

Related Searches


  • Photo Credit tax defined image by Christopher Walker from
Promoted By Zergnet



You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

Are You Really Getting A Deal From Discount Stores?

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!