Outdoor grilling is a favorite way to cook during warm weather and many families enjoy the convenience that a propane grill offers. Owners of propane cylinders should be knowledgeable about the proper storage of these units. Taking all the necessary safety precautions will ensure cylinders are stored correctly and will not cause damage to the home.
Position the cylinder with the relief valve pointed away from anything that could cause a fire hazard if propane were to accidentally escape from the cylinder. Cylinders with relief valves at the top must be stored vertically. Cylinders with valves on the side should lay horizontally with the relief valve facing up.
Store cylinders in a well ventilated area. Enclosed areas will contain propane fumes that could escape from a valve that is not closed properly. Ventilation will allow fumes to disperse without causing a safety issue.
Place cylinders in an area that is away from heavy traffic. Storing away from traffic prevents the cylinder from accidentally falling over.
Set cylinders upright on a flat, non-combustible surface such as concrete.
Tips & Warnings
- Manufacturers add a chemical compound to produce a distinct odor to alert consumers if a cylinder is leaking.
- Do not store cylinders beside flammable or combustible objects.
- Do not store cylinders inside the home or garage.
- Do not store cylinders in areas that collect water, such as grass or dirt. Exposing the cylinder to dampness could cause rust and damage the cylinder.
- Propane could escape through the relief valve if the propane liquid is in contact with the relief valve and the valve is not properly closed.
- Photo Credit meine amerikanische gasflasche image by b1sch from Fotolia.com
Can Propane Tanks be Stored Inside?
Out of sight, out of mind. If you hate looking at a yard cluttered with propane cylinders and you have room in...
How to Care for a Propane Tank
Propane is a popular alternative fuel. People use it not only to operate gas grills, but also to heat pools, run fireplaces...
How to Store Propane Cylinder Tanks
Propane cylinder tanks can be easy and safe to use, but it’s also important to know how to properly store the tanks...
How to Store a Propane Tank
Propane tanks are a popular fuel alternative. They come in many shapes and sizes for many different uses. Propane can be used...
How to Store Coleman Propane
The Coleman label is virtually synonymous with outdoor gear, including portable gas stoves and the hunter-green propane canisters to fuel them. Coleman...
List of Propane Tank Sizes
Propane tanks come in many different shapes and sizes. They are listed in both pounds and gallons. The listed weight of a...