Many homes have a security system installed, even though the current tenants may not have been the ones who paid for it. Some did pay for it but just can't afford the high monthly cost of alarm monitoring. Many people don't realize that once the security system is installed only the monthly monitoring fee stands in the way of free home security. The alarm system still works without monitoring, and it is easy to configure on your own.
Things You'll Need
- Pre-installed home security alarm, monitoring canceled
- Motion detectors with line dialing feature
Install the dial capable motion detectors in place of the entryway motion detectors. The mounting directions and hardware will be included in the motion detectors' packaging. Often the old motion detector's hardware will mount the new one.
Connect phone lines to the new motion detectors as instructed by the manufacturer. Usually the lines connect from the new motion detectors to a phone or third-party dialer.
Program the dialer or the dial-capable motion detectors to dial the phones of your choice. Your cell phone is usually the most important phone number to program into the dialer to alert you quickly if there is an intruder.
Arm the alarm as you normally would. If there is an intruder, the new motion detectors will sense the movement and will dial your phone to alert you.
Tips & Warnings
- Consider replacing the motion detectors that cover the windows and alternate entry and exit points, especially if you have a large home or one with several different entry doors.
- If the dialer-enabled motion detector is capable, program a second and third phone number into the dialer to maximize effectiveness. Dialing your cell and your neighbor's home phone, for example, would be more effective when you are away from the area.
- Photo Credit home security (blue version) image by dinostock from Fotolia.com
Cheap Wireless House Alarm Systems
For many Americans, a home is the largest investment of a lifetime. Protecting this investment is paramount, though protection is often overshadowed...
- How to Connect a Fire Alarm to a Home Security System
How to Choose a Home Alarm Monitoring Company
Monitoring companies use special phone lines, computers and trained staff to watch over a home security system and call the appropriate authorities...
How to Operate a Brinks Security System
Home-alarm systems might seem intimidating to operate, but the Brinks Security system is user-friendly and easy to operate.
How to Save on Your Home Security Monitoring Service
I'm not a fan of buying anything that requires a reoccurring monthly fee. It seems these things can nickel-and-dime you to death....
How to Disconnect a Security System From a Phone Line
You may want to disconnect your phone line from your security system for several reasons. When security systems become faulty, they can...
How to Replace ADT With Another Security Company
Most ADT security systems will include at least one activation keypad and a control panel that operates the security system. Although the...
How to Use an Existing Alarm System
Commercial security companies, such as Broadview Security and ADT, monitor alarm systems and respond to alarms as necessary by dispatching police or...
- How to Break a Security Monitoring Agreement