If you are looking for a hobby that allows you to work with your hands, you might want to consider wood carving. Wood working provides you with a Zen state of mind, but also with beautiful pieces of art. Wood carving is not a hobby that you can learn over night, but with patience and the right tools, you can teach yourself wood carving from the comfort of your own home.
Things You'll Need
- Set of wood carving tools
- Soft wood for carving
- Band saw
Purchase some wood carving books and magazines that include patterns and step-by-step instructions, along with a basic set of wood carving tools and a band saw. Get the best wood carving set that you can afford. You want your tools to last as long as possible. Read these books and magazines to learn the different types of wood carving hobbies and decide on the one that you want to learn.
View videos on Youtube.com that show basic wood carving skills. You can pause the video any time you need more time. You might even create your first work of art using this method. Once you are comfortable with the basics, look for more advanced wood carving videos that you can watch.
Find a project that you would like to conquer in one of your wood carving books or magazines. Take your time and follow the step-by-step instructions to create your carving. With patience and slow, steady movements, you will be carving out a masterpiece in no time.
Tips & Warnings
- Patience is your friend when learning a new hobby such as wood carving.
- Learn to sharpen your own tools at home to save time and money.
- Check your local paper for a wood carving group that you can meet with. When learning wood carving on your own, others who already know the trade can be a valuable resource. You may want to go to a meeting of other wood carvers, or perhaps contact them to ask for advice when you encounter a problem.
- Wear safety equipment, such as glasses, when you are working with wood to avoid an eye injury.
- Photo Credit medieval dragons head wood carving image by thomas owen from Fotolia.com
How to Sell Wood Carvings
If you have been wood carving for a while, it is likely that you have developed some skill at the craft. You...
How to Carve Wood
Carving wood is a great way to add decoration to plain wood. Wood carving is also a craft that can be a...
Learn to Read Blueprints
Blueprints are easy to grasp once you’ve reviewed them. Once you have the basic experience needed to read blueprints, it’s fun to...
How to Build a Wooden Step Stool
A step stool is a valuable tool in the kitchen or bathroom where little feet can stand to reach the counter, sink...
How to Start Wood Carving
Wood carving is an enjoyable hobby that you can do with a minimal investment in tools and supplies. There are many different...
How to Make Model Cars Out of Wood
Whether you want to make wooden cars for children or as decorative items, all you need are some basic woodworking tools and...
Step-by-Step Instructions for Chainsaw Carving
From doll making to needlework, American folk art has a rich and eclectic history, and one of the most creative forms today...