Keeping a frozen selection of stocks and soup bases on hand means you'll never be in a pinch when you need to create a sauce, begin a classic soup or add a little extra flavor to a dish. A seafood soup stock can add bright, fresh seafood flavor to vegetables and stir-fries or boost the power of fish and shellfish dishes. You can also begin with frozen seafood stock to add quick and easy sauces from scratch. The stock will last in the freezer for 4 to 6 months. Reduce down the seafood soup or stock that you have to concentrate its flavor before freezing.
Things You'll Need
- Ice cube trays
- Plastic freezer bags
- Permanent marker
Allow the reduced seafood soup to cool completely.
Pour the stock into ice cube trays and put the trays in the freezer.
Remove the frozen seafood soup cubes and put them in plastic freezer bags.
Label the freezer bags with permanent marker to indicate the date and the type of seafood soup and any notes on the spices or flavorings.
Tips & Warnings
- Stay away from heavily seasoning your stock or soup before freezing to avoid unwanted flavors or salt levels in the finished product.
- Avoid adding dairy or eggs to your seafood soup. These will cook differently after being frozen, and can break sauces or add undesirable textures to your dish.
- If your seafood soup broth is cloudy, or full of unwanted particles, add some rinsed and broken eggshells to the broth. Bring to a boil, then strain. The eggshells will collect the unwanted particles, and help clear your soup.
- Refrigerate or freeze the stock within two hours of making it.
- Be careful when straining or pouring the seafood soup into the ice cube trays. If the stock pot is too heavy, use a ladle or measuring cup.
- Photo Credit Monkey Business Images/Monkey Business/Getty Images
How to Make Mexican Shrimp Soup
You can consider almost any Mexican dish comfort food, but caldo de camaron -- or shrimp stew -- is possibly most deserving...
How to Freeze Fresh Clams
Clams are mollusk that seafood connoisseurs eat in a variety of ways. Clam flavor varies according to the variety and size of...
How to Freeze Broccoli and Cheese Soup
Homemade soups tend to hold up well in the freezer because you don’t have to worry about maintaining the texture of the...
How to Make Mixed Seafood Soup
Mixed seafood soup is a very easy to prepare, hearty soup that makes a wonderful meal in the early fall months. Combining...
How to Refrigerate Soup
Many people think that any hot food must be cooled at room temperature before it is placed in the refrigerator. However, hot...
How to Freeze Clam Chowder Soup
Make the hours you spend cooking a good pot of clam chowder worthwhile by freezing some of it. You may even find...
Can You Freeze Fresh Salsa?
Tomatoes and other vegetables grow only a few months of the year in most parts of the United States. But you can...