Whiskey and espresso shooters are small, densely flavored drinks that pack quite a punch. High in alcohol content, it is a good idea to limit how many you make for party guests, especially because the alcohol flavor is partially masked by the heavy cream. This recipe makes two whiskey and espresso shooters, but it can easily be doubled or tripled for more party guests or to serve as a strong cocktail on its own.
Things You'll Need
- Cocktail shaker with top and strainer
- Ice cubes
- Rye whiskey
- Cold espresso
- Heavy cream
- Dark chocolate squares, to garnish
Fill a cocktail shaker half full with ice cubes. Add 3 oz. of rye whiskey, 6 tbsp. of cold espresso and 2 tbsp. of heavy cream.
Cover the cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for 20 seconds.
Transfer the whiskey and espresso shooters evenly into two shooter glasses.
Garnish each glass with a dark chocolate square and serve immediately before the drinks get warm.
Tips & Warnings
- For a less potent variation, reduce the whiskey by half and add a bit of Guinness beer. It may seem like a bad combination, but it works quite well.
- You can use light cream or half and half in this recipe if that is all you have available, but a traditional shooter is made with heavy cream to help reduce the strong flavor of the alcohol.
- "The Little Black Book of Cocktails;" Virginia Reynolds; 2003
- "The Ultimate Bar Book;" Mittie Hellmich; 2006
How to Eat Espresso Beans
Espresso beans are a variant of deeply-roasted coffee beans that exude a dark, sweet, caramel flavor. While they are most commonly used...
History of Cappuccino
The history of cappuccino begins with its invention in Italy when the first espresso machine was created. The word cappuccino comes from...
About Lagavulin Scotch Whiskey
Laguvulin Scotch whiskey is a single malt whiskey from a distillery founded in 1816. It has an intense smoky flavor and a...
How to Make the Sweating Monk Mixed Drink
The Sweating Monk is a mixed drink with whiskey that's easy to make at home. Our professional bartender will show you how.
How to Make the Whiskey Milk Punch Mixed Drink
The Whiskey Milk Punch is a mixed drink with whiskey that's easy to make at home. Our professional bartender will show you...
How to Assemble and Serve a Double Espresso com Panna
A Double Espresso com Panna is a delicious coffee drink that's easy to make. Watch our barista show you how in this...
How to Make a Double Espresso
A Double Espresso is a delicious coffee drink that's easy to make. Watch our barista show you how in this video.