Create decorative and celebratory miniature flags to hang from your front porch post or to display in a garden. With minimal sewing skills, bits of fabric and embellishments you can create little works of art that wave in the wind for all to admire. Make them with themes in mind such as Christmas, a friend’s birthday or simply one that reflects a hobby or personal interest such as pretty flowers. You can also sew mini flags to give as gifts.
Things You'll Need
- Fabric, lightweight
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine
- Straight pins
Purchase 1 yard of plain or printed lightweight fabric at a fabric supply shop.
Measure a 12 inch by 18 inch rectangle with a measuring tape and cut with scissors.
Use a sewing machine to straight stitch a 1/4-inch seam on all four sides. Fold over one narrow end 1 inch and sew the edge down. This allows a dowel or a means to hang the mini flag. Iron the flag.
Lay the flag on a work table and arrange appliques in the center on the front. These appliques, available at sewing and craft shops, can reflect the theme of your flag such as garden, a holiday, traveler or any other topic. Insert straight pins to hold the appliques.
Use a zig-zag stitch on your sewing machine along the edges of the appliques to secure them to the flag. Hang on a dowel with a cord to display or on a flag holder.
Tips & Warnings
- Having a child's birthday party with a princess, race car or pirate theme? Make several themed miniature flags to decorate with. Stencil designs onto a canvas flag using plastic stencils and fabric paints.
- To celebrate the birth of a new baby, print a photo of the new addition on transfer paper that can be heat pressed on fabric.
- Embellishments such as fringe or pom poms can be sewn along the bottom to enhance the flag.
- Make your own appliques by cutting large themed images printed on fabric.
- If working with children, they can use white glue to attach the appliques onto the flag. Let it dry well.
- Any small size flag can be considered a "mini" flag. There are no specific sizes or dimensions for a mini flag. It's whatever you want it to be.
- Mini flags also can be cut out of vinyl and stapled along the side of a thin dowel to stick in the ground for display.
- Adults only should use the sewing machine only unless a child is old enough to use one with supervision.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images
How to Make a Custom Flag
Custom flags are a great way to get attention for your local sports team, an organization or a business. While there are...
How to Make a Flag
You can of course buy custom flags online. But if you have a flag design in mind, or you just like craft...
How to Make a PVC Flag Pole
Making a PVC Flag Pole is an excellent do-it-yourself project. You can build the standard one straight flag pole or you can...
How to Make Pony Bead Flags
Children love making designs with pony beads as they are large and easy for small hands to work with. Follow these simple...
How to Make Your Own Paper Flags on Toothpicks
Design your own colorful paper flags on toothpicks for an enjoyable paper project. Whether you use the paper flags to embellish appetizers...
How to Make a Wood Flag Stand
Many people display flags, such as Boy Scouts and patriotic individuals. Flags are also proudly displayed on municipal buildings. There are many...